new hen owner with sick hen with closed eye

junedaly

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 15, 2014

Hi all, sorry I posted my pic before the information part!
2 weeks ago I got 4 bramha pullets at a poultry fair to add to my flock of 10 rescued battery hens. The new hens are kept indoors for now in a different part of the shed from the rescues.
This morning one bramha had half closed eyes,this afternoon she was worse with one eye completely closed. I also noticed a slight cough which my other hens never did. I separated her in the shed with water and boiled egg over her food, she seemed thin when I checked her over and shes quite listless on her own. Can anyone advise what's best to do next? Does she need a vet or can anyone tell me if its an eye infection or something more?
Thanks in advance guys :)

Had a look at the poo pics @BayBay Peepers thank you, very useful. In general their poos are a little watery but normal enough I think and I've just separated her so I can see her poo alone. I'll post a pic when she goes.
The other three seem fine scratching about as normal.
Thought I heard one of my other rescue hens cough a little, they're separated by a wall, would it be too late to move them in case of any disease spreading?

Last edited:
Have you wormed your flock at all?

If it's a respiratory infection you'd need antibiotics. It would be hard to know without tests done. Do you have a vet nearby you could take the sickest one too?

They are due worming now, I have flubenvet for them. I don't know if the 4 new hens were wormed, my plan was to worm them altogether.
I contacted my vet but they're closed until the morning. Should I take the sick hen indoors for the night perhaps?
I checked her there and she was sleeping but squawked when I woke her, her breathing seems laboured or else she's snoring (I don't know if hens do that!)

I would bring her in. Keep her warm and comfortable and I hope someone comes up with other suggestions. I hope she pulls through alright. Do you have any electrolytes you could give her?

I have a box ready for her, no electrolytes I'm afraid, I missed the vets but I can get some small animal dosage in the morning. She hasn't eaten any of the food I gave her so it looks like a trip to the vets in the morning and hopefully its not something contagious. Thank you for your advice @BayBay Peepers :)

Back
Top Bottom