New hens aren't laying

lilranchette

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
I got these hens over the weekend, Saturday I think. I assumed they would be upset, and need to adjust. The guy told me they probably wouldn't lay. Well, one did, the very next day. They told me they had been getting 3 eggs a day out of the 3 hens, there is a younger chicken about 4 months old I think, they said wasn't old enough.
Well, today no one laid an egg!

I have them on Purina Flock raiser, I think, because there is the young chicken, and also they came with 3 chicks.
Would they "lay off" due to the move? They seem happier, they come to the door of the coop when they see me and start clucking. I make sure they have lots of fresh water, had to buy another waterer, the one they gave me with them wasn't holding up for one day, I had to fill it morning and night. They all have a good appetite. I don't like the feeder I bought, it is one of those steel tray types, and it is constantly full of shavings. So I fill it twice a day. I gave them some watermelon, which they loved, and some lettuce from the garden.
They were pretty much free ranged where they came from, and not much in the way of bagged feed. Even the baby chicks took off with the mom. They told me they sometimes left for a day or 2 to the neighbors or somewhere! So I haven't turned them out yet, until I think they will stay here!

Good idea to pen em up for a few days for sure.
Yes they will likely go on an egg strike for a while to they get used to their new surroundings. It can take a few days to possibly a month for them to get going again. Also changing feed will alter their laying schedule.

Wish many happy eggs for ya in the future.

Thanks!
smile.png
I am so new to chickens, I don't have a clue. I am just happy that the chicks are still alive!
I'm torn about where to put their coop. They have me a large coop with a slanted roof, but it is only covered in chicken wire, so no protection from weather this winter. So I am going to use that as a base and put wood on the sides of it, and add nesting boxes that stick out the back and can open so I can get eggs from the back. But I am still not sure where I will put it.

I am thinking maybe I will put it right next to my goats 3 sided shelter and they can be let out to free range with the Boer goats. Also close access for electricity for heat lamps and heated waterer, which I need in the winter time here for the goats and horses both. So many ideas and I just need to start one ONE!
th.gif

I figured that. Well they have a new pen, of sorts. My grandson came over and I had a roll of wire just sitting here and off the back of the 3 sided goat pens we made a 16x 24 pen with horse panels for the structure and went around the panels with the wire. Then covered the top with a tarp on one end and mesh over the rest so they cant fly out. They went to scratching and munching and just loved it. They have a small coop for now for roosting. I can now take my time deciding what kind of coop and run I want. Tractor or permanent. And they will be safe and happy
for now!

Back
Top Bottom