Restart hens laying

Jan 31, 2024
We have had a really mild winter. Most days have been in the 40s with little snow. This is very abnormal. At the beginning of Jan we had one record breaking cold snap and we sat at - 40 for 3 days. Everyone went into survival mode and now I only have 1 hen laying. How do I help them restart.

So give them some beans like lentils, they have 2 protiens that aid the hen in laying. Works everytime for me!
Beans are toxic to chickens, unless cooked. Lentil are fine but they aren't going to aid laying, it's a /daylight/pituitary gland/ hormone thing, especially this time of year. Higher protein feed is healthier foe them and cheaper for you if you're seeking to raise protein.

Beans are toxic to chickens, unless cooked. Lentil are fine but they aren't going to aid laying, it's a /daylight/pituitary gland/ hormone thing, especially this time of year. Higher protein feed is healthier foe them and cheaper for you if you're seeking to raise protein.
I understand, I cook them on the woodstove. Have you ever tried it? My gals stopped laying for 2 days and they have 14 hours of artificial light I gave them lentils yesterday and I'm back in production. I've tried it multiple times and it works faithfully. I'm not trying to contridict what your saying but I think you've been misinformed🤔. Again, not trying to start a fight, just saying what I know.

I was getting 3 eggs (out of 11 hens) before that wicked cold spell, two quit but my green egg laying production Red - who lays faithfully nearly every day and yes I know a production red is suppose to give a brown egg - she didn't get the memo.

Yesterday and today, 1 of the original 3 layers started back up again. So 2 eggs. I have 4 pullets who hatched in August, they have combs as red as berries, and the rooster seems to like them...so they should start soon! One of the BA who was laying has a good red comb, so she should start soon.

But today was very foggy and dark all day... oh sometimes this hobby requires a lot of patience!

I understand, I cook them on the woodstove. Have you ever tried it? My gals stopped laying for 2 days and they have 14 hours of artificial light I gave them lentils yesterday and I'm back in production. I've tried it multiple times and it works faithfully. I'm not trying to contridict what your saying but I think you've been misinformed🤔. Again, not trying to start a fight, just saying what I know.
I'm going to try this today!

Hi @MamaPoult how fast do you see results after feeding lentils to your flock? I gave my flock some at 6am this morning, and by 11am found a jumbo ISA Brown egg, the first jumbo egg I've seen in weeks.

Hi @MamaPoult how fast do you see results after feeding lentils to your flock? I gave my flock some at 6am this morning, and by 11am found a jumbo ISA Brown egg, the first jumbo egg I've seen in weeks.
Thats awesome!! By tommorow you should see more results and then everyday youll get more and more! They have worked miracles for my girls! Mine didnt lay for about 3 months and within 1 week after feeding lentils every other day, I was up to full production. I am so glad it worked for you!!!

Seems like the lentils helped but I wonder if it's because they contain specific vitamins, vs protein. I gave my hens a 100-lb deer carcass two weeks ago and they picked it clean, all the while egg production dropping.

Back
Top Bottom