New Incubator! Advice needed!

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I just bought an LG 9300 from Tractor supply. I added a computer fan that I wired to a plug, water, a wet sponge, and rubber shelf liner so the chicks don't get splayed legs. I also just ordered 12 button quail eggs. So far the temperature on the digital screen is different from my accurite digital thermometer/hydrometer. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get the temp up to 99.5 degrees and stable? This is my first time hatching in a long time so I really want it to be a success! Thank you everyone. If you need more details or pictures just let me know.

I just bought an LG 9300 from Tractor supply. I added a computer fan that I wired to a plug, water, a wet sponge, and rubber shelf liner so the chicks don't get splayed legs. I also just ordered 12 button quail eggs. So far the temperature on the digital screen is different from my accurite digital thermometer/hydrometer. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get the temp up to 99.5 degrees and stable? This is my first time hatching in a long time so I really want it to be a success! Thank you everyone. If you need more details or pictures just let me know.
Don't trust the gages on the bators unless you have checked them against a reliable thermometer, they are known to be off. Best way to get your temp where you need it and keep it fairly steady, (styro bators have a name for being hard to keep steady,) is to have it in a spot that does not get any drafts or direct sunlight and the room temp stays fairly steady. I use an lg w/the fan kit installed and I found the perfect place in my house for it and the last hatch was awesome. The bator temps stayed fairly steady as did my humidity, (I switched to dry incubation) and I had a good hatch.
I have read that using rocks in the water wells will help get a bator's temp up because once they heat up they give off heat. I personally have
not tried this as I have never had a problem with temp. The lg's adjustment screw thing (lol) has always been so sensative that just a slight movement had the possibility of raising the tem significantly
Good luck!!!

UPDATE: The temperature seems to be slowly syncing up with my other thermometer at around 99 degrees. I just have to find a way to mount my fan to the top of the incubator and we should be in business!

Back
Top Bottom