New Jersey

Hope you had a great honeymoon!!!!! Where did you go? Hopefully warm like njchix said. Yesterday and sunday was the coldest days yet. We're looking into making something so the water in the coop doesn't freeze. It hasn't yet but its going to get colder. It has electric so we're going to try a heat bulb first.

One of our girls has completely stopped laying. I'm guessing this is due to the cold and shortened day light hours?

Quote:

Yeah you need to give them light. I have a 2 watt bulb on a timer. CFL 2700 kelvins, 80 lums. I only have 4 speckled sussex and get 3 eggs a day. Even yesterday and today. It was 20f last night. I have the light in the timer where I put an outlet. (This pic dont show the light) Gives them 15 hours or so. Comes on at 1am.off at 9am after its light. Does not come on at night. no need to.

Also I make these waterers that fit in a small coop. I made my own heater with a cookie tin. My spouse think I should sell them but they would cost too much and I dont think people would want them @ $125 a piece. Holds 1 gallon. Holds a candlabra up to 75 watt. I have a 25 watt red bulb in there and water does not freeze. I have it on one of this cube plugs that makes it come on at 34f and off at 42f .

I see a red glow around the lid ever so faint. Thats how I could tell its on from peeking in the window.

This shows my first one with a white light and shows it on the wall in the coop. One thermo cube for the heater in the winter and one for the fan in summer. Fan comes on at 70f off at 78F

That little bulb heats the cookie tin, which heats the bracket thats metal, that keeps the plastic waterer warm enough to not freeze. I would just put a 50 watt in if I had freezing but the 25 watt is working fine.

Last edited:
That's awesome! Thanks so much for the info. I think i have that same timer and never thought to set it for temperatures, only times of day. I love the pictures.

Last edited:
Nice set up Mike. I never knew about those thermo cubes. I'm going to have to remember them. Right now I use the nipples in a gallon jug that I bring in at night and back out in the AM.

Hi, there is a thread for the Northeastern Poultry Congress to enable folks to pre-arrange sales, swaps, meetups etc. Hope to see some of you there!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/731397/northeast-poultry-congress-2013
That's a great show - I have 15 birds entered, because I have lost my mind. The show hall's freezing cold, although they do their best to heat it, but the birds like it. It averages about 3000 birds a year. Worth the drive! Look for me near the Faverolles!

Last edited:
What a bummer morning. I found Oliver the rabbit dead this morning. I have no idea what happened. It must of been something GI since he didn't eat his morning veggies from Saturday. I feel so bad because I didn't notice. I thought we where doing everything right, purina pellets, Timothy, always fresh veggies like green beans n kale. We had him neutered and I litter trained him. He was just hopping around yesterday morning with the boys. So now I will spend the day with one crying, one asking over and over what happened and one who is not sure what to make of it. :(

What a bummer morning. I found Oliver the rabbit dead this morning. I have no idea what happened. It must of been something GI since he didn't eat his morning veggies from Saturday. I feel so bad because I didn't notice. I thought we where doing everything right, purina pellets, Timothy, always fresh veggies like green beans n kale. We had him neutered and I litter trained him. He was just hopping around yesterday morning with the boys. So now I will spend the day with one crying, one asking over and over what happened and one who is not sure what to make of it.
sad.png
I'm so sorry for your loss.
sad.png
It sounds like it could have been Gastrointestinal Stasis. My rabbit was just diagnosed with this last week. We took her to the vet ad she was given a medicine injection, as well as pills for us to take home. The thing is, rabbits hide when they are sick, so when they begin to show symptoms they are usually on their final days. This problem especially. Symptoms include: decline or loss in eating habits, lethargic behavior, and low or no production of fecal matter. GIS is the slowing of the intestinal tract, until it becomes clogged and the rabbit dies. My friend was on vacation when her rabbi died of this.

Back
Top Bottom