New Magpie Thread!!!!

I just decided to get a second batch of hatching eggs. So hopefully my flock of three Magpie ducks will increase soon enough. I plan on only keeping females. Additional drakes will be culled so the females don't get over bred.

My young Magpies have finally learned that the kiddie pool is awesome. The adult pekin uses it daily, and it took a while for the Magpies to take the plunge. Now they're always in it. If only the ponds were dried up for the summer. Oh well, they'll be full again next spring!

Where are you getting your hatching eggs from? I can't seem to find a reputable breeder anywhere that ships eggs. Hoping to get some from a mixed color flock rather than just black and whites, though I won't be picky.

Where are you getting your hatching eggs from? I can't seem to find a reputable breeder anywhere that ships eggs. Hoping to get some from a mixed color flock rather than just black and whites, though I won't be picky.

I got the newest set from this seller on eBay. It seems black and white are overwhelmingly the most common color. I've seen blues out there (I had a blue hatch with the last batch, but it died shortly after hatch, it was very tiny compared to the others). According to feathersite, they can come in dun. I think only the blue and white, and black and white are APA accepted colors. Probably why they are more common.

Stacykins: THANK YOU! All of this information is just wonderful, I really appreciate it. Just my first year with ducks and chickens, but they are so much fun already planning for next year. If you hear of any blue Magpie hatching eggs, let me know! And of course I now have to google dun magpies :)

Edited: Just found some eggs from a flock w/ a blue drake here Blasted all, I don't want to wait until next spring, I want to hatch now! Sigh. For my hubby's sake, I will show some restraint.

Last edited:
Just got my first two Magpies yesterday, they were supposed to be a male and female but they are definitely two males.
sad.png
If anyone knows of a place to get ducklings shipped or even hatching eggs, that would be great. I know it's slim pickins out there for this breed but I'd really like to find a hen to go with one of these drakes.

eFowl sells ducklings in march or april, they don't sell hatching eggs, I have seen very nice color markings on their ducklings, other then that you will have to google magpies and go to pictures, there will be a few pictures from and with links to pages and breeders in the US. There is a very nice breeder and I know there are a few more in canada. She is on here her name is Tara, she has blues and blacks, and sells ducklings and hatching eggs. I am on mobile so I can't tell where you are from, but if you are in canada I would suggest contacting her! If you look on a few other magpie pages she has commented, Tarasfarm, send her a pm! Plus there are a few breeders on here so if you look and reasearch for em you will find some! :) good luck!

I just hatched two magpies from a set of eBay eggs. One looks like a normal magpie, the other is yellow with no markings whatsoever. If it is a drake, he'll be raised for butcher, as a cull. If a girl, I probably will just use the eggs for eating.

The obviously Magpie duckling is a female (maybe). The not magpie (with feathered legs) is a definite male. So he'll either go to a pet home or freezer camp. I don't want him breeding with my other true magpies, since I think he is a mutt.

The little white one with feathered legs perished. I had helped it hatch. A mistake, because it was weaker as a result and wasn't thriving. So the little Magpie girl is a bit lonely...so she spends a lot of time with me!

In the tub, taking a bath, splashing around!

Head dunkies!

My older Magpies. They follow after the Pekin!

The little white one with feathered legs perished. I had helped it hatch. A mistake, because it was weaker as a result and wasn't thriving. So the little Magpie girl is a bit lonely...so she spends a lot of time with me!

In the tub, taking a bath, splashing around!

Head dunkies!

My older Magpies. They follow after the Pekin!
Soooooo Cute!!! Sorry to hear about the loss of your other duckling.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom