New male for my two girls

jynxster

Songster
8 Years
Dec 8, 2011
San Diego CA east county (Alpine)
I have two sister mix Caugya and Pekin. They were born last Oct 16. I rescued these ducks and they are ok friendly but dont want to be petted or held. Can get close within 2 feet just never held. came from a larger flock and were picked on I think with little human contact. Today I was given a male Pekin born "last summer" beautiful friendly came from a kid who raised him from birth. This guy has never been around other ducks. You can walk over, pick him up and he loves to be petted. He will follow me around. So now they are all three in the same area, about 16 feet by 24 feet back yard with a pond too. The only issue came when they were being fed this evening, the girls share the same food bowl and water when eating however, now I know have to keep the boy and girls seperate when feeding for now anyway. The boy ate his and chased the girls if the even looked at his food bowl and water. The girls are uninterested in him and seems vise versa. So far all is well. Gonna let the pen open tonight into the run. The two girls automatically go in the dogloo inside the pen at night; kinda thinking they will work things out; what are other peoples thoughts about this. I could lock the girtls in the pen and let him have the run with a smaller dogloo with hay to sleep ?????????? Just not sure they should all three be locked in the pen at this time Pen is 6' by 10 feet.

I feel it's too soon to lock them together unsupervised. When we adopted Romy and Shelly, they stayed separate from the flock at night for three nights. Other than some poking, after a few days they were pretty much incorporated into the rest of the flock. They're all girls, and I think that makes a difference.

With their different backgrounds, I would want to take pains to monitor their behavior together and help set the stage for good relationships. One thing I did was give everybody treats at the same time, but not in the same enclosure. Romy and Shelly's nighttime area was right next to the Runners'. I gave the Runners peas, then gave R & S their peas moments later, for example.

As long as each of them is safe from cold and predators, keeping them separated sounds best to me.

And feeding/watering them separately makes sense for this initial period.

I added a male Khaki Campbell to our established all-girls-club last summer, and it took about a full week for him to be accepted. Now, of course, he's "the man"
big_smile.png

thanks for the support, he seems so lost and the two girls want nothing to do with him, he sits a bit away and jsust watches them. sad really he has never known other ducks only humans tonight I came home and he sat in my lap for over half and hour and petted and talked to him quietly; he seemed to like it. they are all in the same duck area all day but at night seperate pens right next to each other so they can see and watch each other all night. I love this guy. cousldnt ask for a sweeter duck with humans.

It's encouraging that you understand how his upbringing is so much a part of who he is. I feel that if you respect that, and give him plenty of human time, while encouraging a healthy relationship with the girls, it will work out. Have you had the opportunity to give them treats side by side? My guess is that something totally fun like that generates good duckie feelings, and if they associate good duckie feelings with being near each other, that will facilitate a good flock relationship.

I know of ducks and geese that don't identify with their own species. They have bonded with people, other waterfowl or poultry or canines, even. Understanding that helps everybody.

Enjoy your sweetie-pie!

Amiga:
Have to keep the kids apart during feeding Frankie has food agression like a dog. He runs off the girls even if they look at his food (He still doesnt realize he's a duck). During the day they are in the duck yard together. At night they are in pens next to each other separated only by metal screen so they can see each other eat and sleep. Frankie and the girls seem to watch each other alot but will not touch. Frankie has NEVER gone in the pond. The girls are unseperable, they never part, they strart freaking out if they are out of each others sight. They do everything to gether (O' to have a best friend like that). they eat together, swim and sleep together they are like watching a cartoon; moving in unisom as one at all times. Cant pick them up, cant pet them, the other one immediately starts squawking like crazy. Talk about separation anxiety. I think keeping them apart at night until they show me signs of acceptance. They really are from two opposite worlds. Ive been thinking about putting a feeding pan under the mesh so the food tray is on both sides of the screen at night, that way they are sharing the same food tray but cant get at each other if Frankie gets upset. For now trying to be patient. Love my ducks and hoping they will bond soon. I think in the spring there could be issues when Frankie wants to mate . Frankie is only a couple months older than the girls. I think he looks a little overweight but not sure. Seems his lower backside is rather....low to the ground. LOL OK thanks fellow duck people.

Back
Top Bottom