1Rosanna

In the Brooder
May 25, 2017
Hi, All! I'm a new duck owner in southern NH. I just got my first 3 adult ducks (4 yrs old) about 4 weeks ago. They are mixed breed ducks, who I've named Martin, Charlotte and Abigail. Martin has just mated with Charlotte and/or Abigail so we have 15 eggs carefully ordered in a circle, which Abigail spends most of her time on. I found BackYardChickens.com while searching on line for information and tips.

I'm a seasoned dog owner, brand new to ducks, but excited! I'm a consultant, working mostly in the Human Resources field, for small to mid-size businesses. My focus is improving organizational performance, staffing, employee relations, training/development and other H.R. activities.

I'm anticipating ducklings in the next month or so and want to do well by them. The mom has taken control in keeping the eggs warm. Can you help me understand what I can do to help this to go smoothly and for the new ducklings to thrive?

I hope that some time in the future I'll be able to help others. For now, I'm in learning mode and I appreciate any help. Thank you!

First of all, welcome to back yard chickens! This place is filled with a lot of knowledgeable people that will guide you through your new experience.

Since your duck has decided to brood, you get the easy part and get to sit back, relax and watch. The only thing I can realy think of that you'll need to do is make sure that the ducklings will be able to follow their mama in and out of their area without any big steps or steep ramps and keep food and water near the nest right after hatch for at least the first week. Hope this helps!

Also they need protection from predators including house pet dogs & cats. Duck mothers are not nearly as ferocious as geese. Also the father does not hang around and help her raise the babies. Ducks may hatch a large number but lose many before maturity.

Whereas geese raise up generally all of their goslings. You never want to tangle with parental geese.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community!

Good luck with all your poultry adventures. :)

Back
Top Bottom