I only have dogs and cats,lol. Nothing to breed with!
I'm looking for a pet silkie, a chicken to hold and love and be part of the family, while also having their outdoor time, under my supervision. My animals love baby animals, so a chick would be welcomed and treated gently by all the dogs and cats and kept safe.

So, some drama with the hubby 😕, he thinks our cats will kill the chicken, as if I am going to just let her walk around dripping in gravy .....SMH.
Anyone have opinions and experiences on cats living in harmony you with a pet chicken? No matter how much research I have done to ensure their safety he isn't convinced. Help!
That is a very difficult question to answer, IMO, to many variables that could end up very poorly for your chicken if anything happens and no one is around.

Depending on your cat, most likely it wont hunt your chicken as a source of food. Could your chicken at some point surprise and or startle your cat to make it lash out and or bite your chicken? Yes. Intentionally? No, just how animals can react in that type of situation. Then you have a hurt chicken to doctor. :(

It would be a very wonderful thing if all our pets would get along perfectly with other animals and no issues. Unfortunately it's not a perfect situation and the risk is always there for something bad to happen. Best of luck. :)

So, some drama with the hubby 😕, he thinks our cats will kill the chicken, as if I am going to just let her walk around dripping in gravy .....SMH.
Anyone have opinions and experiences on cats living in harmony you with a pet chicken? No matter how much research I have done to ensure their safety he isn't convinced. Help!

That is a very difficult question to answer, IMO, to many variables that could end up very poorly for your chicken if anything happens and no one is around.

Depending on your cat, most likely it wont hunt your chicken as a source of food. Could your chicken at some point surprise and or startle your cat to make it lash out and or bite your chicken? Yes. Intentionally? No, just how animals can react in that type of situation. Then you have a hurt chicken to doctor. :(

It would be a very wonderful thing if all our pets would get along perfectly with other animals and no issues. Unfortunately it's not a perfect situation and the risk is always there for something bad to happen. Best of luck. :)
Thank you! As I explained to my stubborn husband,lol, I would never let my chicken wonder through the house unattended, unless I put the cats in the bedroom for a little while. My cats and dogs have always nurtured and loved kittens we have rescued, which 2 of the 3 cats we have are those rescued kittens. I plan on having a secure place for the chicken to be in the event I can't be in the same room or have to go out, and even then I would keep her in a locked room. I trust my cats and dogs while I am right there with them, especially the dogs, but accidents DO happen and I have thought of everything to keep my girl safe. But it is no fun having issues with a spouse over a new pet. I know once he held her in his arms he'd fall in love, but right now he can't see it, he fears her being hurt or killed, which of course is my biggest fear and the reason for all the research I am doing by asking all you experienced owners these questions.
In my newbie mind I feel that since my dogs and cats love babies, if she comes to us as a baby they will love her and as she grows up she won't be seen as a strange new adult creature in the home to investigate and be overly curious. Ugh, men! 😂😂 j/k guys

Back
Top Bottom