View attachment 1937047

View attachment 1937044 Moving chickens to different locations can be stressful and confusing for them and they may stop laying. Putting them in the barn will teach them that's their new home and they won't go back to the coop when you want, or at least it'll be another difficult transition. I'd leave them out in their regular coop where you want them to live, that's home, and safety.

Chicken feathers are amazing insulation and are plenty good enough to keep them warm --as long as you let them acclimate naturally, and don't have drafts blowing on them to disrupt their feathers. Good ventilation is more important than heat in the winter, a way for ammonia fumes from droppings and moisture buildup to escape... that alone should prevent possible frostbite.

Here's a couple links you may find very helpful:
The Question of Supplemental Heat
Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!

Best wishes with your flock! View attachment 1937049

Thank you! I will keep them in the coop then. It is plenty big enough. During the day when they free range they go in and out of the barn where the goats stay, but I would prefer they don’t think it is their permanent home when summer roles around again.

I lock them in their covered run/attached coop every night to ensure their safety, but the door between the two stays halfway open so they can choose to be in or out. Should I be closing that little door at night during the cold months to cut down on possible wind? The structure of the coop has great venting up high so there would still be air exchanged.

I lock them in their covered run/attached coop every night to ensure their safety, but the door between the two stays halfway open so they can choose to be in or out. Should I be closing that little door at night during the cold months to cut down on possible wind? The structure of the coop has great venting up high so there would still be air exchanged.
That's exactly the same as my setup... I like my birds to be able to come and go as they please. It's up to you whether you want to close the pop door at night, I leave mine open all year... some very successful coop designs have both upper and lower vents. Just so long as wind or drafts aren't blowing directly on their feathers at roost height, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom