New Mexico

Welcome to the flock, Zoomie!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm down near ABQ. Congrats on your new coop!

Sorry, none here... sold my incubator way back when. Hope you can find someone. I'm too far away, anyhow!

Thanks, what breeds of chicken do you raise, Austinspoultry? (I hope I got that name right if not I apologize.) I'm always interested to hear about other's birds and what type they have. You must live out in Santa Rosa or something?

I already have plans to build another coop, and this first one does not even have any birds yet.
idunno.gif
We have an old cattle chute here, made of steel pipe and steel sheeting along the bottom. I figure, pour cement in the bottom, build up some walls, put on a roof and I'll have a coop that not even a bear can get into.
big_smile.png

Sorry, none here... sold my incubator way back when. Hope you can find someone. I'm too far away, anyhow! 

Thanks, what breeds of chicken do you raise, Austinspoultry? (I hope I got that name right if not I apologize.) I'm always interested to hear about other's birds and what type they have. You must live out in Santa Rosa or something? 

I already have plans to build another coop, and this first one does not even have any birds yet. :idunno We have an old cattle chute here, made of steel pipe and steel sheeting along the bottom. I figure, pour cement in the bottom, build up some walls, put on a roof and I'll have a coop that not even a bear can get into. :D
I am selling my breeding stock of Cochins to go into silkies more. I have an array on layers that are old in the next few days I'm probably gonna order either RIRs or black australorps. I live an hour north of tucumscary by two little towns called Roy and mosquero. Names don't matter to me you can just call me Austin. The coop idea with the choot is a good idea if it's a powder creek one like ours then pouring concrete puttin a roof on it and closing Thor two empty sides won't be too bad. What does you coop look like now?

Cochins are lovely birds... so are Silkies, so you should have a good time with more of those. I take it that you show your birds? That must be fun...

I've been out that way before. We actually looked at property way out there, but ended up near Mora because I wanted irrigation and we are on the acequia here.

The coop I have now is one of the "kit" coops, which, to me, are not real sturdy. So I set it up inside my barn in a 12' X 12' stall that has concrete poured down to 3' below the soil line, framed in steel with 2" X 12" tongue and groove siding. Then I put 1/2" X 1" welded wire up anywhere there was a hole, like on the stall door where there are steel bars with spaces between them. So there is a coop inside, that has a wired run, and the only possible predator that might be able to get in there is a raccoon, but he'd have to get into the stall, and then into the run, and only then would he have access to the coop. And that is buttoned up tight. So I think it will work out OK. I hate raccoons...

I'll probably be ordering chicks in the spring. As I get back into this, I'll have to get equipment again like I used to have. It looks like these days there are some better choices in the brooder/incubator area so that is really good.

Oh grrrr, I'm not wild about dogs either... real sorry that happened to you. I'm afraid I would have called the brand inspector to have them put down. Or shot them, if I'd caught them in the act.

That is awesome that you show. I need to go to the poultry shows. The one in San Miguel county is not real exciting because it's so small, but I bet down in Albuquerque it's really great, with lots of birds.

I have better success with hova bators. I have three incubators a hova bator forced air with a turner a farm innovators forced air with turner and a little giant still air. The hova bator is my incubator the farm innovators is my hatcher. The hatcher is just so I don't get my hova bator dirty. The hova bator kit is 200$ I ordered a little giant kit but they sent me a hova bator. The still air lg doesn't get used much.

Oh boy, a New Mexico thread! Awesome! Hi everyone, I'm new in these here parts. :frow

I live way up in the northern mountains, between Las Vegas, NM and Taos... kind of near a little place called Mora (but Mora is far enough away that I'd really prefer not to walk there... thanks... ). Anyone here near me? 

I'll be looking for Faverolles one of these days very soon, if anyone has them. But I will avidly read about your chickens in the meantime. I just wanted to say hi right off the bat. 

Welcome! I live in Miami. It's near Cimarron, not terribly far from where you are. Used to come your direction frequently. I raise all kinds of chickens, rio grande turkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats

Back
Top Bottom