NEW! My Silkie...ISNT! What do you think it is? ADULT PICS ADDED!

greytmommy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Ok, so these are my first chickens. I just picked up 5 Silkies today. There were in a group with "Mixed Bantams" and silkies were included. I asked for 1 black, 2 white and 2 grey. I checked the first 2 chicks to make sure they were Silkies (5 toes, black legs)...The lady helping me knew a lot about chickens. When I got home, I noticed my 2 grey "silkies" only had 4 toes and orange legs! Whoops!!! They are definately Bantam, and they have fluffy feet.

So, you have any guesses? What are my mystery chicks?
wink.png

I cant post pictures (since I am new)....but if you have some guesses let me know! If you want to guess, you can PM me, and I will send you the links to photobucket with the pictures.

-Erin

UPDATE!!! Adult pics are added on page 2!!

Last edited:
Hatchery chickens may not look anything like the breed standard says they should. Do your grays have the same type feathers as the ones you know are silkies? They may just be very poor quality(in a show sense) but still nice for pets - or they may be some breed crossed with silkies. Are their feet feathered. Would really need to see some photos before guessing?

If you just respond to a few posts every day - even just to say " nice looking coop," or "adorable chickens." you will build up enough responses to allow you to submit photos.

They have feathered feet. They do not have the "poof" on top like the silkies. When I look at them side by side you can tell....

here is my photobucket (since it isnt a clickable link, can I do this??) add http to the front and it will take you there.

hmm.png
/s194.photobucket.com/albums/z309/IGgreyhoundgirl/Chickens/

The pictures are labeled, and there are about 7 called "mystery chick 1" and "mystery chick 2"

I would be ok w/ some Bantam Cochins.... There are not a ton of fuzzy foot Bantams that come in grey are there?

I would also be ok w/ a cross breed. They are just pets.
smile.png

well....COOL! I wanted 4-5 Silkies...but i am ok w/ 3 Silkies and now 4 Cochins (2 Bantam and 2 Standard). Blue and Splash coloring would be killer! My other Cochins....one will be Black i think (maybe really dark blue?) and the other...I have no idea! Buffy is dark, but sploched w/ lighter colors all overs....So i have no idea what she will look like! haha!

Hopefully the Mystery Bird we named "Blue" will end up a Blue Cochin. that would be fitting.
smile.png

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom