New pullet! That makes 5 now

Norman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Ontario
I now have two weeks experience as a hen owner, and I can't believe I've waited up till now to get these awesome birds! Well today my mom and I answered an ad in the newspaper for "brown laying hens 3$." Now there was no phone number only an address, so right away I know it was one of the Mennonites in the area. We arrive and there is fowl EVERYWHERE! Turkeys in one big field, random hens, roosters, ducks, and babies of various ages, just meandering around the property. All throughout the small veggie garden among the corn stalks and bean plants there are a zillion chicks and there respective mammas. I find a girls about 12yrs old in her blue dress and white bonnet and ask about the birds...she goes off to the barn and 2 seconds later comes out with a nice looking little chicken. Turn out the 3$ ones were the "passed prime" layers, so we forked out the extra 4$ for a pullet around 18-19weeks. So now we have 5 hens
smile.png
. Newbie is very open with expressing her displeasure about being kept confined by herself, but is pretty tame. My question is about her breed(s), I think she is a Red Sex-Linked cross maybe. A bright rusty red-brown, with white tail feathers and some light under feathers. Ill post pics tomorrow. Also, her beak seems slightly hooked…any thought?? Nothing that interferes with eating/drinking though. I am just wondering if it could be over grown or just the way she’s built. Can I trim it?

Back
Top Bottom