New Ready Made Flock

crescentson

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2016
Houston, Texas
We've been on our new property for about four months. The neighbor noticed my meat rabbits, and offered me a mother hen and eight chicks (three to four weeks). I threw together a pen, and they are settling in. I am new to chickens, and have no idea what breed. She's pretty small, so some variety of bantham, I assume. Any thoughts?

Yeah the hen is typical of a silkie cross. If you handle her or the chicks, lift the wings and look around the butt to see if the skin is black or greyish as that would be the silkie trait showing through on those birds.

It also appears at least one chick may have silky feathering- kinda looks shredded on the wings and downy-furry on the body?

The black skin is a dominant trait and usually shows up in crosses and mixes... silky feathering is recessive and doesn;t show up in the first generation crosses but if you either breed them back to a silkie or let them breed amongst each other, it will eventually show up again- so if at least one chick is showing silkie feathering that is your answer to the chick's probable parentage- at least 2nd generation down from a cross with a silkie.

There is a dappled grey chick, and this little guy. It is the only one with the tuft on top of his head. They weren't in the best shape when we brought them home, so I'll give her another day or two before I check the skin coloring. Thanks for the quick responses!

I am not with her at the moment, but yesterday I asked the wife if the momma had an extra 'thumb'. I'll check when I get home. Thanks.

*The previous owner is not a chicken guy. He has no idea, his flock was wild.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom