New rescue horse very skinny, need help.

AnniesFarmFl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Bell,Fl
Rescue horse that is on the skinny side, I wanted to know how often and how much of Purina impact 12 % texture should I be feeding him along with hay and beet pulp for him to gain weight.

My first port of call would be to make sure the horse is wormed and have its teeth done.
I'm in UK so have never heard of the purina feed. Is it a conditioning feed? Either way I would feed the recommended amount. But feed it at least 3 times a day in smaller feeds, more if possible. I would also give him ad lib hay as much as it can eat.

Weight gain is such a long process but hope you get some on him soon :frow

First, have him checked over by a vet if you haven't already. Teeth checked and blood work to be sure there is no other underlying issues going on as the cause of weight loss. Purina should have several products that are good, ADM feeds do as well, as far as higher fat for some weight gain, but get your vet out first and talk to him/her about something for any specific problems that may be there. for example, If it's old age and bad teeth, Purina senior would be good soaked to help eating. It makes a good mushy mash when soaked. Or if there are kidney or liver stuff going on, Purina has formulas for those as well.

He has had a complete vet check he is fine, he was just not geting has much as he needs he is a very big horse 17 hh, the vet suggest impact since he isn't very old. I just don't know how much of it I should feed him along with beet pulp and hay.

Last edited:
You could also try adding Rice Bran to his diet. This is what I give my TB mare during winter when she's off the fields. It's highly palatable and has a high fat content. The instructions for feeding is on the bag.

If you go to the Purina website, you can find a food calculator to determine the correct amount of feed to offer your horse. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom