New RIR Rooster ...

no way to be positive, but I would not think much more than a year, if that quite. That is my sense, looking at the pictures, he looks younger not older..... that that is a guess.

I had a rooster in a similar situation, when I got him, he was missing feathers, and wearing battle scars. When he was introduced the top hen knocked him on his a55. But he jumped up, and in a few days those silly hens thought he was wonderful.

He is going to be eye candy. Enjoy.

MrsK

no way to be positive, but I would not think much more than a year, if that quite. That is my sense, looking at the pictures, he looks younger not older..... that that is a guess.

I had a rooster in a similar situation, when I got him, he was missing feathers, and wearing battle scars. When he was introduced the top hen knocked him on his a55. But he jumped up, and in a few days those silly hens thought he was wonderful.

He is going to be eye candy. Enjoy.

MrsK

That's awesome!!! Haha ... She certainly has given him a run for his money. He is more prone to backing down and I would guess that is from simply getting the sh*t kicked out of him by the other roosters. He is missing some feathers on his upper neck/head.

I'm thrilled to hear he'll be the king of the roost before too long! He deserves it ...

I have a RIR roo. 16-17 weeks. His sicke feathers are growing. No spurs. There's just a dot where spurs will be. His legs don't have the feathers that your roo does. Wild Bill was a pullet so I was told when purchased. All 4 were pullets. But I had a wild card in the bunch hence Wild Bill. I'd like to keep him, that's the plan but if he gets too aggressive, injures me or the girls I'll have to rehome him. Don't want too. He's a nice bird and part of the family.

Well, in my experience, now having 10 Roosters I am fairly certain that the roosters temperament has a lot to do with your treatment, handling, and respect of his position. If you do all correctly he should view you as top rooster and never attack.

When mine are roosting at night I go in and spend time petting the 40 + birds we have and talking to them. It's a process but it will pay off in the end - especially with roosters.

I would also suggest not to use a stick or "weapon" ever when dealing with a rooster - you didn't mention you had but just adding my opinion. I believe Roosters attack what they feel is a threat to the flock and a person carrying a stick is a threat and will be handled as such. I have spent so much time with my chickens that I am understanding chicken behaviors ...

RIR are beautiful
I have a RIR roo. 16-17 weeks. His sicke feathers are growing. No spurs. There's just a dot where spurs will be. His legs don't have the feathers that your roo does. Wild Bill was a pullet so I was told when purchased. All 4 were pullets. But I had a wild card in the bunch hence Wild Bill. I'd like to keep him, that's the plan but if he gets too aggressive, injures me or the girls I'll have to rehome him. Don't want too. He's a nice bird and part of the family.

I could never take a stick to my peeps. I pick them up every day but I don't make a pest of myself. When I'm done with what I need to do inside their house, I sit outside watching them. I thinks it's awesome you pay close attention to 40+ chickens. That's great. Today I was in the pen sitting on my stool scooping the sand. I had my girls climbing on my shoulder. I thought it was great. My roo is getting a little more stand-offish but I still pick him up and hold him. As I said he'll stay as long as he doesn't turn mean. I've read that he'll go through some changes as he matures then settle back down. I won't give up that easily
1f413.png

I could never take a stick to my peeps. I pick them up every day but I don't make a pest of myself. When I'm done with what I need to do inside their house, I sit outside watching them. I thinks it's awesome you pay close attention to 40+ chickens. That's great. Today I was in the pen sitting on my stool scooping the sand. I had my girls climbing on my shoulder. I thought it was great. My roo is getting a little more stand-offish but I still pick him up and hold him. As I said he'll stay as long as he doesn't turn mean. I've read that he'll go through some changes as he matures then settle back down. I won't give up that easily
1f413.png
Let your roo continue to be standoffish. It's a sign of respect for you. Most of the roosters we hear of "going bad" here were treated as pets, thus they lose all respect for humans. I'd advise not to let him on your shoulders, to not treat him so much as a pet and he'll be a better animal for you.

Thanks for the advice. It was the girls that were on my shoulders. He watched. I'll let him be stand offish. One thing that I found interesting lately, as the girls eat mealworms from my hand he's behind them watching. Doesn't eat from my hand anymore. But the way he watches over the situation is so interesting. Thanks, I'm still learning.

Back
Top Bottom