New Run/coop For My Young Chicks To Grow In

bfeusner

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 14, 2009
Louisville, KY
So I just finished building my first ever chicken run/coop and I think everything turned out great...I got my plans from http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/SusAg_PasturedPoultry.htm and decided to try to almost double the size of the coop in the plan opting for an 8'x8' coop/run...Things stayed pretty close to the plans until it came time to put the fiberglass paneling on which didn't turn out so well forcing us to switch to OSB board...Overall the coop finished is 8'x8' with 32 square feet enclosed on three sides and the remaining 32 square feet open with just chicken wire...I included gutter feeders in the design and will be adding a roost tomorrow...I am considering elevating the run/coop slightly and filling it with sand to help cut down on any problems with smell since I live in a sub-division. Here are some pics of construction and the finished product:

IMG_9269.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9273.jpg

IMG_9278.jpg

IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_9286.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

More pics to come in the next couple days as I add my hanging waterer, roost, and nesting boxes...Please let me know what you think!

Thanks it was fairly simple to build if you follow the diagram from the link...It cost me about $160 total but could be built for less...If you have access to a saw and drill you can build this type of coop/run within 3-4 days total. My next step is going to be building a completely enclosed coop to house them at night and keep them safe and to landscape around the outside of this pen.

Here is an update with pics of the feeders, my hanging waterer, and my new roost...I am contemplating setting the coop on landscape timbers and filling it with sand to reduce any chance of odor and make cleaning the run/coop a little easier...If anyone has used sand, did you put down black plastic to kill the grass before putting your sand down or will the sand kill the grass?

IMG_9305.jpg

Here is one of the gutter feeders I made that can be moved further up the wall as the chicks continue to grow...I need to add something to the feeder to keep the chicks from trying to roost on it and pooping in the feed and scratching the feed out...

IMG_9307.jpg

Here is my hanging waterer...This is the first time I've actually used this model as a hanging waterer...

IMG_9309.jpg

This is my temporary roost that the chicks seem to enjoy...I think I am going to add another side identical to this to make an A-Frame Roost to increase their roosting area...

The coop is really starting to come to life and the chicks are really enjoying themselves in their new home!

Back
Top Bottom