new run idea

wardrum

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
N.W. Ohio
Right outside my back door I have a 20'x20' fenced in run for my house dogs (Two pitbulls) they have a doggie door to go out when they want. I also have enough fence to make it a 20' x 50' area. Would it be okay to use that as a run for chickens as well? I was thinking it would help keep predators out if the dogs were able to go out there. the dogs could careless about messin with the chickens and they dont seem to mind the dogs either.And would that be enough room for all 19 chickens?

That is plenty of room (20'x50') for 19 chickens and then some. I would just be more concerned about leaving the chickens unattended with the dogs. Have you left them alone before or do you plan to? My dogs are extreme angels when I am around but I worry about leaving them alone with the chickens. I did once have a chicken sneak in the back door and I left with the 2 dogs and the 1 chicken alone in the house but I was thankful that is the one chicken my dogs are very afraid off (she pecks them in the face in a curious way and they don't like it!). BTW-My dogs are a poodle and schnauzer. I think ALL dogs can be unpredictable in the right situations so that is why it would be my only concern. That is just my two cents!
smile.png

I have lost too many chickens to roaming neighbourhood dogs including pit bulls, bulldogs and even a little poop-sue to ever consider having my own one and I would certainly never put chickens in an enclosure with them. It only takes one bite to get a taste for chicken and then it would be open season
(edited-the proper spelling of that little dog was not accepted by the forum and kept coming out as 'nonsense') so my apologies to anyone named Sue!

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I had one of those naughty little poop dogs. He got a new forever home.

For me it's some of my nasty little Yorkies that I don't trust. I have 2 of the nasty little dogs that love chickens too much.

Oh and that size run should work very well for 19 birds, and it should be easy to cover the top of the run. We use a panel from a dog kennel as a door to our run.

I got a pair of bulldogs ( a round head and a pit cross) that freerange with my chickens in my small backyard. I haven't lost a chicken to a single predator yet in a year and a half. The only problem is the poop. I use all the chicken poop for fertilizer and dog poop goes in the trash. It works OK so long as you keep up on it, but if you slack at all the mess has to all go in the trash. I do not want dog poop in my garden for sanitary reasons. Also, the dogs will track chicken poo into the house through the dog door. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I have no worries about the dogs one is scared of his own shadow and the other is 11 yrs old so hes time tested and approved lol. If I wanted to have all the chickens in one coop how big would it need to be? right now I have them split up into three coops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom