New Runner Ducklings! Growing up - UPDATED PICS, pg. 3

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sweetfolly, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I just had to share some pictures of my new Indian Runner ducklings with all of you! They all hatched yesterday afternoon, and I just took them out of the 'bator this morning. 6 of the 8 eggs that were due to hatch ended up hatching - one was fully formed but died without pipping, and another had started zipping, but died midway. [​IMG]

Still, look at these 6 healthy babies! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to add pictures of mamma & daddy duck:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
  2. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    Congrats on the great Hatch!

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG. cuteness!

I've never had Runners, and I'm debating if I'm crazy to want to add something else, much less another breed of duck, lol. Mine are all pets, but also for the laying...I'm possibly expecting up to a dozen scovy babies just about any day now...Oh man, i'm going to be over run with ducks... [​IMG]

4. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    So sweet! Do you plan on selling them?

I'd love to see what they look like mature.

I have a chocolate drake, a black female and a fawn and white female. I can't wait to see what I get out of them next year.

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks - I was really hoping for a 100% hatch, but I'm very happy with 6/8. [​IMG]
    Plus, I have more Runner eggs due every week for the next month! [​IMG]

This was the fastest duck hatch I've had yet - they were all out within 2 hours of one another.

Quote:Yes, these babies are all pre-sold. I just sent out e-mails to the people who have been waiting for them. [​IMG]

BUT, I had a really cruddy Runner hatch last week (totally my fault, humidity issues) and only hatched 1 of the pretty little lemon-colored ones out of 5 eggs. She was really weak and never even pipped herself, I ended up poking an air hole after listening to one of the other eggs peep for three days and then go silent, and then I hatched her with tweezers. I'm keeping her (and she's doing great and stands so tall!), so I'll at least know what the lighter colored ones will end up looking like - I'm pretty sure they'll be sort of Lavender or Splash. [​IMG]

And I'm waiting on some pictures of some 6-week-old full siblings to these ducklings that I hatched and sold back in April - I'll post them once I get them! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
  6. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    I won't have to use an incubator for mine thankfully.

I have a REALLY broody call duck. I think she's actually a mix, cause she's not tiny. But she's a GREAT mom. I just hatched chicken eggs under her. Last fall she disappeared, and I found her with 15 eggs she and my runner had stashed. Boy was she mad when I collected them. It was late in the year and they weren't fertile. I have no idea how she thought she was going to keep ALL those eggs warm with her little body. lol

7. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    They are so lovely! Congratulations! [​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Gorgeous babies Annarie,

You will have your hands full with ducklings with all that hatching going on... Lucky you are hatching to fill orders for ducklings I have three different age groups at the moment...3 Different brooders at the moment- and more due in two weeks... I am fast running out of room to put them all. I also have some orders- but need to keep a lot of these babies to grow out myself before choosing witch ones I will be keeping..Its so hard to decide which...Runner babies are all so gorgeous.

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Congratulations!!! I can't believe my runners were that size 5 weeks ago. Shocking how fast the little buggers grow. Just want to mention........ I had my first chick hatch to a broody hen yesterday, she has 7 more to go. They are chickens and I know this is the duck section but I'm just so excited!

10. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I LOVE them!! How old were yours when they started laying?

My runners are now 2 1/2 weeks old, and then I just got more today from Metzer. Runners are AWESOME!! I can't wait to hatch some next year. Any chance they'll want to be mommies and hatch the eggs themselves? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by