New Runner Ducklings! Growing up - UPDATED PICS, pg. 3

Sweetfolly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Kildare, Wisconsin
I just had to share some pictures of my new Indian Runner ducklings with all of you! They all hatched yesterday afternoon, and I just took them out of the 'bator this morning. 6 of the 8 eggs that were due to hatch ended up hatching - one was fully formed but died without pipping, and another had started zipping, but died midway.
sad.png

Still, look at these 6 healthy babies!
big_smile.png

IndianRunnerDucklings-June92010002.jpg

IndianRunnerDucklings-June92010007.jpg

Edited to add pictures of mamma & daddy duck:

4408514793_5c7726596b_m.jpg
IndianRunnerPair001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG. cuteness!

I've never had Runners, and I'm debating if I'm crazy to want to add something else, much less another breed of duck, lol. Mine are all pets, but also for the laying...I'm possibly expecting up to a dozen scovy babies just about any day now...Oh man, i'm going to be over run with ducks...
wink.png

So sweet! Do you plan on selling them?

I'd love to see what they look like mature.

I have a chocolate drake, a black female and a fawn and white female. I can't wait to see what I get out of them next year.

Quote:
Thanks - I was really hoping for a 100% hatch, but I'm very happy with 6/8.
smile.png

Plus, I have more Runner eggs due every week for the next month!
big_smile.png

This was the fastest duck hatch I've had yet - they were all out within 2 hours of one another.

Quote:
Yes, these babies are all pre-sold. I just sent out e-mails to the people who have been waiting for them.
smile.png

BUT, I had a really cruddy Runner hatch last week (totally my fault, humidity issues) and only hatched 1 of the pretty little lemon-colored ones out of 5 eggs. She was really weak and never even pipped herself, I ended up poking an air hole after listening to one of the other eggs peep for three days and then go silent, and then I hatched her with tweezers. I'm keeping her (and she's doing great and stands so tall!), so I'll at least know what the lighter colored ones will end up looking like - I'm pretty sure they'll be sort of Lavender or Splash.
smile.png

And I'm waiting on some pictures of some 6-week-old full siblings to these ducklings that I hatched and sold back in April - I'll post them once I get them!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't have to use an incubator for mine thankfully.

I have a REALLY broody call duck. I think she's actually a mix, cause she's not tiny. But she's a GREAT mom. I just hatched chicken eggs under her. Last fall she disappeared, and I found her with 15 eggs she and my runner had stashed. Boy was she mad when I collected them. It was late in the year and they weren't fertile. I have no idea how she thought she was going to keep ALL those eggs warm with her little body. lol

Gorgeous babies Annarie,

You will have your hands full with ducklings with all that hatching going on... Lucky you are hatching to fill orders for ducklings I have three different age groups at the moment...3 Different brooders at the moment- and more due in two weeks... I am fast running out of room to put them all. I also have some orders- but need to keep a lot of these babies to grow out myself before choosing witch ones I will be keeping..Its so hard to decide which...Runner babies are all so gorgeous.

Congratulations!!! I can't believe my runners were that size 5 weeks ago. Shocking how fast the little buggers grow. Just want to mention........ I had my first chick hatch to a broody hen yesterday, she has 7 more to go. They are chickens and I know this is the duck section but I'm just so excited!

I LOVE them!! How old were yours when they started laying?

My runners are now 2 1/2 weeks old, and then I just got more today from Metzer. Runners are AWESOME!! I can't wait to hatch some next year. Any chance they'll want to be mommies and hatch the eggs themselves? LOL

Back
Top Bottom