new teen ameraucana/EE- pullet or roo?

homesteader wannabe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NJ
I just got this chicken from a local guy who said it was an ameraucana. The hatch date was 3/28, which makes it 25 weeks (6 months) old. He thought it was most likely a hen because it hasn't crowed yet, but it also hasn't laid any eggs yet. For the week I've had it, it also doesn't seem to have the typical roo personality. It's doesn't seem to be aggresive at all, and gets put in it's place by my pre-existing hen. Is there any chance Charlotte is just a late layer, or is it time to call him Charlie? I think I see saddle feathers coming in, but if it is a roo shouldn't it look like a true rooster by now?
Thanks for your advice!

When posting pics from the upload, copy and paste the link that starts

Looks like a roo to me. Is it possible that it has been with another more dominant rooster- a potential reason it has not been crowing?

Nurse_turtle, if you click on the pic it will enlarge.

SueBaby, there was at least one other roo, which was already crowing. I didn't realize that would keep this one from crowing! If he stays quiet, maybe we can keep him. If he starts crowing, we'll probably have to give him up.

You got a roo. I got "got" too. He promised that they were hens. Some people will lie to get rid of their rooster problem.

It has all the classic characteristics of an EE roo - Long, pointy saddle and hackle feathers, splotchy red coloration over the shoulders and wings, pronounced red comb, and thick green legs. Lovely boy though.

Back
Top Bottom