new to all of this

victoriamb

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2015
Well i live in North Carolina I'm getting my first four chicks on the 10th barred rock wyandotte ameraucana and maybe a black sexlink in less someone could sell me on getting two of one of the other breeds also wanted to know if there's anything extra I should have for brooding so far I have a 50gal plastic tote the lamp and bulb pine shavings feeder waterer chick grit and feed all the basics just want to make sure I do this right

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Definitely check out the link that Chicken Canoe left you with. It sounds like you are well prepared for your chicks!
smile.png

Also wanted to know if anyone favors any of the breeds over the others I suggested not sure if I should get two of one of those breeds or one of each they will be around my 2 year old so I don't want anything known to be aggressive everything I've read says their all really good but I'd still like someone's input thank you all so much! were so exited to start this journey and very glad to have everyone's helpful suggestions

The breeds I know I want are wyandotte ameraucana barred rock and I could get a black sexlink but I'm not sold yet so please help with pros and cons of these breeds

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds You might want to check out the member reviews of the breeds you are interested in. The hens of all the breeds you are considering (Wyandotte, Ameraucana (Easter Egger) Barred P Rock and Black Sexlink) are all usually nice birds with nice temperaments, the Easter Eggers are fun for kids because of the colored eggs, the sex links will probably lay a few more eggs than the others, the Wyandottes usually come in different feather colors that are nice.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. They have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year, and I have been especially impressed with their persistent laying in cold, winter weather. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds or hybrids you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom