New to all this, scared birds

Hi

Can anyone offer any advice?
I am completely new to this so learning as I go. Plus i think my neighbour now hates me, having given me 'the look ' when my wee chick escaped into the garden and I had to round her up!

Thanks so much for any help and advice you can offer a newbie!
Is it your garden or theirs? Either way you if you haven't broken any laws, they can mind their own business.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's my back garden. I don't think the neighbours approve, however. Not that it is their business but they are always outside (as am i) so we see each other every day.

Is the coop real hot? Is the run covered? If the coop is hot, you might want to let them have access to the run, but if that is not covered, they can escape it. They are picking up on your fear. Try to approach them with confidence, give them personal space, don't make any unnecessary visits at this point. Give them time to settle.

Yes the run is covered, I don't think coop is too hot though.
I am trying to be calm but the crazy flapping at the window is pretty frightening. They stare at me and I'm scared they'll attack!

It's my back garden. I don't think the neighbours approve, however. Not that it is their business but they are always outside (as am i) so we see each other every day.
Give your chickens some time to get used to their environment, I'm sure they'll come around to you once everything settles down. And try not to let your chickens get into your neighbor's yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience pullets don't attack too often - maybe nip fingers or legs from hiding if they're feeling bold but you can usually see that coming. I would keep them contained in a cage or coop for a day or two until they settle down. It's advised to lock up chickens in their coop for up to a week, so they better associate it with "home".

As far as your neighbors they might just be giving that look at first because they fear hearing a crow in the morning. Maybe once they realize they won’t they will be fine. Mine warmed up really quick after I brought them some eggs. LOL. After a week or two of spending time with them and then getting used to their new place they will See it as home and see you as the one who provides food treats and shelter.

That's the other four now in and they're a fair bit calmer so hopefully the other two will settle down. We did wonder if the coop was overwhelming for them as its a converted (large) shed. Let's see how they are tomorrow morning!

Yes the run is covered, I don't think coop is too hot though.
I am trying to be calm but the crazy flapping at the window is pretty frightening. They stare at me and I'm scared they'll attack!
I have yet to have any of my girls attack me. They will sometimes mistake part of my hand for the treats I am holding and even then it isn't mean just a oops. Like I said once they associate you with something good coming their way then they warm up quickly. While I can't catch and hold all of mine I can get them to come running when I have their treat cup. :) Some of them let me pick them up and hold them briefly without fuss. Just keep at it and be calm. They do seem to sense when you are afraid by your actions and that could be making them more nervous. My daughter was the same way at first but now has no issues. She just had to get over the fact that chicken behave differently than cats and dogs.

Back
Top Bottom