New to all this, scared birds

Jul 16, 2018
Hi
I just recently converted my shed into a chicken coop with run and this morning got two hens.
I currently own four chickens that live with my dad's flock two hours away and they are being moved up this evening to live with my other two (we've only had them two weeks so still young)

The two I got today appear to be absolutely terrified not like when we brought the others home.
In three hours one has already escaped into the back garden (and luckily caught before she could fly next door) and tried to escape a second time when I gave them some corn. She is flying up high to get over the top of the door.

I'm sure they're rather stressed so won't disturb them until late tonight when the other four arrive.

Can anyone offer any advice?
I am completely new to this so learning as I go. Plus i think my neighbour now hates me, having given me 'the look ' when my wee chick escaped into the garden and I had to round her up!

Thanks so much for any help and advice you can offer a newbie!

Mostly, move slow, do not chase or attempt to catch. Obviously you had to in the neighbors yard. Just smile at the neighbor, and make sure they don’t get back there.

Take a cup of coffee and sit quietly. After a while toss some scratch away from you, they will flutter but if you just sit there, they will eventually find the treat. Do this several days in a row, gradually throwing the treatsooner and closer to you.

They should calm down, though some breeds are just flightier than others.

Thank you I'll do that.
I don't want to open the door for a few hours so that they can calm down as, as soon as I opened it the last time they went crazy and I was scared they were going to hurt themselves.

Treats, treats, and more treats :)

That was the key to my success when getting my girls used to me. When we first moved them from the brooder to the coop they were scared and flighty. So I have them treats daily so they associates me with good things & their coop as a safe place where they got good things.

Be patient and find a treat they love and I am sure they will settle down.

Mrs K, yes I have a run it's attached to the shed. I was under the impression I shouldn't let them out in is just yet is that right? Maybe tomorrow?

I think it would be OK to let them out in the run. But yup just time for them to get comfortable with you is I think all it will need. Are the chickens you brought in may be afraid of the chickens you already have?

Can't be afraid, it's just the two of them at this moment. I have just been in and sat, they are still scared and trying to escape but not as bad. I'm a bit frightened if I'm honest! Only staying in briefly!

Back
Top Bottom