New to chickens, looking for help to be successful

No need to panic. It will be ok.

Chick feed is more easily digested so they will be ok.

The oyster shell doesn't need to be put out until they start laying.

The grit and feed should NOT be mixed.

Separate containers for each of the 3 items.

I use metal rabbit feeders but any container can work so long as they can get their beaks in. In one coop I use plastic coffee cans with the side cut out. I screwed it to a wall stud so it cannot be tipped.

All of the above x2.

I use two methods for extra calcium: an old mixed nut container with a hole cut in the front filled with crushed egg shells then screwed to the wall and a 7# gravity feed container filled with oyster shell hanging from a chain next to the feed trough.
There is a second 7# gravity feeder on a chain at the other end of a second feed trough that has the grit in it.
egg shell dispenser.jpg OS dispenser.jpg

Most chickens are reluctant about going out in the snow ... so plan on double or triple the square footage of recommended for the coop, unless ... you also have a covered run ...

An 8'X10'-16 long shed would work good for your coop, plus ... a 10'-25' square (or rectangle) run, preferably atleast some of it covered to keep snow off ... you more than likely have hawks up there too ... they like chicken for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ... sometimes even snacks in between ;) ... so, your run should be covered with wire mesh/fencing if it does not have a solid roof ...

Along with that, for 6 chickens, how large of a coop will I need/want? How many nesting boxes and what sizes? What else is needed and what else should I consider?

As I am also not allowed to free-range the chickens, I need a large enough run for them. How exactly does that work? Do they always stay in the run or can I let them in my garden or my fenced yard from time to time? Will this make a difference on the size of run I need? How large should I make it? Any ideas on what will be best to use for that?

I'd recommend looking into sheds, either premade or a kit. For 6 chickens you'd want roughly 24 sq ft of floor space (so 4 sq ft per bird), though more is always better especially if you have stretches of bad weather where they don't want to come out. If that's the case going with 6 or even 8 sq ft per bird may be better.

For nest boxes, 2 is enough but 3 might be better... I currently have 7 chickens and sometimes all 3 boxes are occupied. My boxes are oversized, 15" cubed with a sloped roof rising to 24" or so - if you're going for minimums I would say 12" cubed is as small as you should go (bigger if you want giant breeds).

Other things to think about: roost bars, aim for 12" per bird in roost space.

If your laws say no free ranging then yes the chickens should be inside the run full time, though if you want to let them out on occasion I won't report you. ;) Run space should be a minimum of 10 sq ft per bird though if you can go bigger, do so, as I personally feel the minimum recommendation isn't big enough and can lead to behavioral issues. My birds currently get 60 sq ft per bird in run space but obviously that will change as I gradually add more birds.

I don't build so I had a fencing company come and build a dog run, which I then reinforced with hardware cloth and netting.

Thank you all for your help. So I have a couple additional, follow-up questions.

1. How do I add ventilation and how much. Where should this be placed?
2. What all needs to go inside the coop? Obviously nesting boxes and a roost, I am guessing the food and water. Do lights? Anything else?
3. What type of materials would be best to use for the coop to be very sturdy and help with the weather?
4. What do I do about windows? Should I add them or not? What type of material would be best so it doesn't make it too hot in summer or too cold in winter?
5. For the run, what type of material should I use? Chicken wire or mesh or what? How tall should the run be and should it be covered?

Thank you again for all your help. is site is great.

Thank you all for your help. So I have a couple additional, follow-up questions.

1. How do I add ventilation and how much. Where should this be placed?
As much as you can and as high as possible. Having one very secure vent down low will help push moist air out too vents.
2. What all needs to go inside the coop? Obviously nesting boxes and a roost, I am guessing the food and water. Do lights? Anything else?
I keep good inside and water outside. Lights are more for us humans then the birds. A lot depends on if you plan to add light in hopes of better winter laying.
3. What type of materials would be best to use for the coop to be very sturdy and help with the weather?
I recommend regular siding and framing. Insulation gives nice good hiding places so I don't recommend that.
4. What do I do about windows? Should I add them or not? What type of material would be best so it doesn't make it too hot in summer or too cold in winter?
I definitely would add windows. As many as you can. They really help keep it brighter in winter and give better airflow in sumner. I will include a picture of my big coop below. I made my windows. Nothing fancy but very functional.
5. For the run, what type of material should I use? Chicken wire or mesh or what? How tall should the run be and should it be covered?
A lot depends on predators in your area. Are you keeping big dogs out? Just hawks? Fox? If you have weasels I would not leave any gaps bigger than a quarter. Those buggers can fit right through anything bigger than a quarter.

Thank you again for all your help. is site is great.

Answers/opinions from me are in blue inside the quote.

upload_2018-4-19_13-49-9.jpeg

You can see I used chain link for my run. I have chicken wire over top. There are 11 windows in this coop.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. My coop will not be nearly that big as I will oy have 6 chickens but it gives me an idea. Thank you. Is the inside just bare wood?

In a coop that is 6x4 (or something similar but the same size) how many windows would you recommend? Would 2-4 small ones be enough? Do you use glass or would something else be better?

As for my run, we actually have never seen anything as far as predators in my area. I am sure we have them. I know there are hawks and an occasional eagle a couple miles away. There are a couple cats that come around occasionally and we have two small (10-12 pound) dogs and a fenced in yard. My dogs will probably be scared of the chickens, though. I am not worried about them being a threat in any way. Not much here in that way so far. Hopefully we can keep it that way. Having said that, as soon as I don't prepare for something I am sure I will be dealing with them.

My windows are made from 1/4" lexan. It is a type of plexiglass.

A 4x6 coop could handle 2-3 windows. I would use 1/4" thick Plexiglas. It is less breakable than the thinner stuff and less likely to warp in the heat.

I think I have a picture of the inside during construction. I did paint mine but did not insulate.
DSCF1057.JPG

My roosts run side to side along the back.

1. Up high if possible, in or near the roof area is ideal.

2. I don't put water in the coop though some people do. Food can go either inside or out. It just needs to make sense with your set up. I have battery operated lights but those are for me and not the chickens - I have a lot of windows so the chickens are fine with the light coming through the windows.

3. Mine's wood, I think mostly pine with cedar trim.

4. Windows are great for light and possibly ventilation if they can be opened. Awning style is good in many cases. I have sliding glass windows like you'd see in a house.

5. Avoid chicken wire - it's not predator proof. The only place it's maybe ok would on top of the run as a cover, but there's better options (a roof is the safest option, a stronger wire mesh would be more secure, or netting is sufficient if dealing with aerial predators). My run is chain link 6' in places and 4' in places (it's split), covered with netting and reinforced at the bottom with hardware cloth.

So I have a couple additional, follow-up questions.
Welcome to BYC! @LearningInPayson
Where in this world are you located? (Payson AZ?)
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-5-24_16-53-12.png

Back
Top Bottom