New to chickens some advise on breed

shannie

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
Central PA
Hello
I would appreciate some tips and suggestions from anyone

I'm new to chickens, My daughter and I am wanting to set up a small setup in city limits, this where it gets tricky since I have neighbors very close by and not very friendly and I need some advise.

I am wanting to know since i can only perhaps 2 full size ( was thinking EE's) or maybe 3-4 bantams. max.

Which breed is considered the quietest hen/pullet. ( full size or bandam) <- again don't want any issues with neighbors :)

Which breed would be best if i do go with bantam's since we do want to eat the eggs ourselves (not sell) and which are best egg producers and have bigger eggs in the bantam catagory.

Much appreciated :)

Brahmas are always quiet
big_smile.png
. Not a ton of eggs but decent enough. No leghorns they are noisy and flighty. Silkies are quiet and small. Not good egg layers but I'm sure some silkie breeder will prove me wrong. Orpingotns lay pretty well not sure how they are on the noise factor. I had three and two were quiet and the other one made screaming noises all the time. Generally I would have to say get a breed that is known to be calm and non flighty. I find them to be the quietest. Also broody breeds tend to be the calmer and more quiet than non broody breeds. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure the answer to your questions but doesn't neighbors like that just mif you it totally restricts what you can do in your OWN yard sorry had to vent I have the same problem

All chickens make noise! They cluck, they squawk, they screech; and sometimes at the same time.
I have found my Silkie HENS to be the quietest, but you're not gonna get large eggs for eating from them.
And your bantam breeds are not necessarily more quiet than the larger breeds.
My Serama roosters (the smallest chicken in the world) were the NOISIEST. Go figure.

Are you "allowed" to have chickens where you live?
You say your neighbors are not very nice.
They sound like they might be the kind of neighbors who will make your chicken-keeping a real nightmare.
You may want to start off by informing your neighbors that you and your family will be raising a couple of chickens for your own food/eggs.
You can even offer them some free eggs.

Thanks for all the replies, there currently is not a ordinance at this time, but another town over ended up restricting them last year due to a few bad eggs ( pardon the pun).
So Im wanting to get something i have been wanting to do for a long time, but i don't want anyone having any reason to complain.
Thus my reason for trying to figure out the best that would be quietest.
I am not worried too much about smell since i do plan to keep on top of it so it seems like noise would be my concern at this time, and of course the breed that would supply us best with the eggs :)

Brahmas are always quiet
big_smile.png
. Not a ton of eggs but decent enough. No leghorns they are noisy and flighty. Silkies are quiet and small. Not good egg layers but I'm sure some silkie breeder will prove me wrong. Orpingotns lay pretty well not sure how they are on the noise factor. I had three and two were quiet and the other one made screaming noises all the time. Generally I would have to say get a breed that is known to be calm and non flighty. I find them to be the quietest. Also broody breeds tend to be the calmer and more quiet than non broody breeds. Hope this helps.

For Brahmas, does it matter if buff, light etc. Full size or bantam, thanks

For Brahmas, does it matter if buff, light etc. Full size or bantam, thanks

Well, if you get bantams, you could obviously keep more than with LF since they're smaller. Get whichever color tickles your fancy. I will say though, most places do not offer bantams sexed, so you'll probably have to weed thru some roosters if you go that route. I have Silkies, and they're very quiet, even my rooster. But all of the Brahmas I've ever met have been pretty quiet as well so I think they'd be an excellent choice for you :) If you're legally allowed to keep chickens, and keep them clean, fed ect, then I say PHOOEY on your meanie neighbors! Good luck!
Nikki

Back
Top Bottom