NEW TO DUCKS

Pics

RandT

Chirping
Jan 20, 2020
Bishopville, SC
I need some assistance.
We are new to hatching ducks and need some advice. We recently purchased a property with 2 Peking ducks and at least 12 wild Rouen ducks. They don't leave the property as we feed them and have a large pond they call home. Two of the females layed eggs about a week ago. The last time they did this, they never sat on them. We are sure the local wild critters started taking them as the eggs started disappearing slowly. We wanted to put them in an incubator this time around. We purchased a "Nurture Right 360" incubator from our tractor supply. Since the average incubation period is 28 days, and they have been outside for at least a week with no momma sitting on them, how long should we put them in our incubator for? We will be starting that process today (Jan 20th). The incubator is warming up as we speak and we have collected the eggs and they are getting acclimated to the room temperature.
We have successfully raised 6 Guinea keets. We were able to collect them after they were hatched, put them in a brooder box we built, and now they are with the rest of our Guinea Hens. However, we are starting with eggs this time around.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
R & T

We hatched our first eggs a few months ago and it was a lot of fun :) If the ducks weren't sitting on the eggs the embryos should not have started to grow yet, but you can always candle them to be sure. If the eggs are white you should be able to start to see growth around day 4-5 (at least that was our experience).
This article is long but really helpful when we were hatching, works for ducks too, not just geese.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/Best of luck! :)

Agree with the others. Unless one of the hens was sitting on them sometimes, they will still take 28 days from the time you put them in the incubator.

I have an NR360. I love it for hatching, (best viewing ever!) but be sure to verify the temperature before you start the eggs. I think I have mine set on 100.5 to maintain 99-100. Also cut a piece of rubber shelf liner to fit the bottom now, before you add the eggs. Then place it on the grate, under the eggs, when you take the turner out on day 25.

Enjoy!!

Agree with the others. Unless one of the hens was sitting on them sometimes, they will still take 28 days from the time you put them in the incubator.

I have an NR360. I love it for hatching, (best viewing ever!) but be sure to verify the temperature before you start the eggs. I think I have mine set on 100.5 to maintain 99-100. Also cut a piece of rubber shelf liner to fit the bottom now, before you add the eggs. Then place it on the grate, under the eggs, when you take the turner out on day 25.

Enjoy!!

1. What is the liner used for?
2. I just watched a youtube video from "white House On The Hill" and he said to cool the eggs off every day?
Thanks
R&T

2. I just watched a youtube video from "white House On The Hill" and he said to cool the eggs off every day?
Thanks
R&T
The liner is for the Lock down stage, Last 4 days of incubation you take the turner out and lay the eggs down flat so they can hatch
They wont hatch at the same time so the hatched ones need room to rest and wait for the rest to hatch. When they hatch they can rest for an hour or even up to 12 hours

i touched on calibrating thermometers in this post
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/big-bator-build.1345445/page-4#post-22123698
My store baught janoel12 incubator was off 3 degrees, couldve been fatal

Thanks
R&T

I like the liner for a few reasons — Helpful on their feet, easier cleanup after hatch (disposable or wash it), and it keeps the eggs from rolling so much when earlier hatchers bump them around.

And I’m with Pyxis. I don’t do the cool down, but have read in Storeys Guide to Ducks, that they had better hatch rates doing it. Personally I didn’t find it worth the hassle in a small incubator.

Back
Top Bottom