New to forum with question

my1stchicks

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
North FL
Hi all!
My chicks will be shipped from Ideal on June 11 and I'm trying to get everything together. I want to start them on water bottles, it will be alot easier for me, and was wondering if the ones for hamsters would be ok to start. When they get bigger I'll get the kit for the 2 liter bottles.

I've been reading this forum for about a month now and have learned so much from all of you!!

I'm so excited!!
yippiechickie.gif

sorry I can't be of help here I haven't tried the water bottles but my son used to give our chicks drinks from the end of an eyedropper because he thought was funny , they had no problems whatsoever in catching on to that concept.

hi and welcome to byc i have seen ppl use them before and they worked like a charm so i say yes and by the way what part of north fla u from..

It may be fine, I'm not sure. My chicks are 5 days old and I've use a typical poultry fountain with a 1 gal reservoir. Maybe others can chime in, but my chick like to dip their beaks, throw their heads back and take in a LOT of water.

Like they were gargling...
wink.png

I was thinking about a water bottle too... I've had my little guys for a week now, they are 4 weeks old. I followed someone's suggestion and raised up the water bowl, but they still get it full of wood shavings. If this works good, I'd love to switch.

BTW, good luck with you little guys, bet you can't wait for them to arrive.

I am using a Mason jar waterer. (a quart?) I solved the wood chips in the water thing by setting the waterer on a lid from a 5 gal. bucket. It is just enough of a platform, but not too high. It keeps water out of the rest of the brooder, too.
Good luck with your chicks. We all stress about "doing it right," but when it comes down to it, it's not so hard.

Back
Top Bottom