New to here from Upstate South Carolina

aurorabev, I will find some old pics of the house and scan and post them. I will also see if I can find the bill of sale and get the exact address. This ought to be interesting. My dad was born on Orange St. right off the Battery. When we were growing up we went to Charleston all the time, my step grandmother had a motel/bar at Isle of Palms.

Last edited:
If you haven't been to Charleston in a while sweetie. I would take a trip down there. It is so worth the gas and the long trip. If it was not for the cars and the way people were dressed; you could have walked back in time. Me and hubby walk for hours around there. Down aille ways you can find graveyards, shops and houses that you don't see from the street. And the best way to get to know Charleston is to really take on of those ghost walks. They tell great stories about the people, ghosts and just the history of the area. Most of the time they can tell you about almost every house you pass. I really hope to get back down there soon. I really miss it. Happy hunting sweetie.

Hey aurorabev, I found what I thought was the original bill of sale but it was my GGM Last Will And Testament. The house on King St. is #99 and was sold for 10,000 in Oct. 1945. The only time I get to SC now is to go to Columbia and see my mama and siblings, we are going home Friday for my brother and my B-Days. Talk to you soon. Thanks ...Laura

You know you could ask for a day trip if it is your birthday. hehehe. I need to get back down there myself. Course right now .... anywhere would be nice. Happy early birthday sweetie. I hope you have a blast for that birthday.

Hey there EllyMae. I love that area you are in. My great grandparents were Cherokee. I love going up there and visiting. When I was little I remember my dear beloved mother hated going. She would ride in the backseat floor board. hehehe
lau.gif
She was deathly afraid of the moutains and heights. Me and dad would stand on the side of the moutain and look down and just make she sick
barnie.gif
lau.gif
We always got a good laugh over it. Well that was until we got home. Then me and dad would pay dearly for about a week. hehehehehehe
gig.gif
. But yet she would get back in the car and ride right back up there again with us.
rant.gif
And she would fuss the whole way up and the whole way down. heheheheh
duc.gif

Happy to meet you EllyMae.

YOu know what ... mom use to say that you know you are getting old. When you have a story for everything you are reminded of. And you tell it. lmao

old.gif

I was just reading a great thread on the chicken coop construction about yours, EllyMae!
I love the mountains, too. But I have to say Charleston holds my heart the most or maybe Beaufort. Just please don't make me go to Myrtle Beach. no offense directly but it is way too commercialized. The traffic is horrid and you can't get a good beach to walk to save your life.
I love Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island. We used to camp there when I was young and they had a campground called Sand Dollar. Can you imagine why? I still love it though. It hasn't grown too badly.
Uh-oh, Bev. I think I been there and told that story!
gig.gif

I have to agree Nadine. Myrtle is a money trip. I don't understand why anyone who live here in SC even goes there. Now north Myrtle is better but still nothing like Charleston. Like you it holds my heart. I just hope those that go to Myrtle stay there. I would hate to see Charleston get that way.

I better stop there before I start in on one of those stories. hahahahah
duc.gif
tongue2.gif

Okay, all this talk about Charleston has done it now!
I am currently looking on line for a hotel to stay at, possible Mt Pleasant since that is my favorite side.

Anyone ever stay at Shem's Creek? That looks good.
We stayed at the Seaside Inn on Isle of Palms about 5 years ago and it was awful.

I knew all this talk would get me itching to go again. It's been a few years since I had my elderly mom to care for and now I am a bit more free to take trips, just hadn't because of the chickens.
Now to find that chicken sitter......
hu.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom