New to Quail raising...need tips

Delta3013

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Harker Heights, TX
Hi, Me and my Ag teacher (in FFA) were going to order some bobwhite eggs to hatch and sell. This is my first time even THINKING about doing quail, and I was just wondering about some stuff I need to know before they get here.
Any tips would help.....Like....
1. Best living spaces
2. Feed
3. watering...ect
p.s. I have a large A frame coop that is 10'-9'-12' high. Plus a large run that is 6'-9'-4' high and can be dramatically enlarged if needed.

Thx.

Quote:
FAIR WARNING... QUAIL ARE NOT CHICKENS! THEY ARE SPECIALTY BIRDS AND BOBS ARE NO EXCEPTION. THEY ARE NASTY TO EACH OTHER AND REQUIRE MUCH MORE SPACE THAN OTHER TYPES OF POULTRY. CHECK THE STICKY POST HERE IN THIS STRING FOR A LINK THAT WILL TAKE YOU TO YOUR STATE DNR/ FISH & GAME REGULATIONS AS MOST STATES REQUIRE LICENSURE FOR GAMEBIRD SPECES... IT VARIES GREATLY FORM STATE TO STATE AND MANY ALSO HAVE RESTRICTIONS ON HOUSING AS WELL.

Quote:
FAIR WARNING... QUAIL ARE NOT CHICKENS! THEY ARE SPECIALTY BIRDS AND BOBS ARE NO EXCEPTION. THEY ARE NASTY TO EACH OTHER AND REQUIRE MUCH MORE SPACE THAN OTHER TYPES OF POULTRY. CHECK THE STICKY POST HERE IN THIS STRING FOR A LINK THAT WILL TAKE YOU TO YOUR STATE DNR/ FISH & GAME REGULATIONS AS MOST STATES REQUIRE LICENSURE FOR GAMEBIRD SPECES... IT VARIES GREATLY FORM STATE TO STATE AND MANY ALSO HAVE RESTRICTIONS ON HOUSING AS WELL.

Ok, I read up on it and it said that I have to own a license to own and posses bobwhite quail, but nothing about corntex quail, would they be a better option?

For A First Timer? --- God Yes! They Are Similar In Care Needs But Coturnix Are Way Easier To Start With For Rookies. Also Require Much Less Space And Grow To Maturity In A Fraction Of The Time It Takes Bobs.

Ok, thanks, you probably saved me there, those park and game links should be a sticky in this part of the index. I'll try to talk him in to ordering coturnix insted....
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom