1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to selling this breed. Help with price?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by ChickenPotPie, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ChickenPotPie

ChickenPotPie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Not sure if this goes here. I'm not selling this bird here. Just need some advice.

My kids were given a handsome, little Rosecomb cockerel (people like to give my kids animals for some reason. lol) Well, that was fine. They were just going to show it and then sell it. They just bought a show flock of RIRs and we want to keep the chickens to only that breed. Hence the plan to sell the Rosecomb.

My question is, how much should they ask? I haven't a clue. Until now, they've only sold mixed breed ducks and production Reds to people who just wanted pets or eggs. $5- $20 depending on age. I know that people don't seem to value males as much.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure. I don't want to ask too much but I don't want to go too low and people wonder why I'm selling him for so little.

I thought $10 - $20 would be okay. Btw, selling this bird at the county fair.

Thoughts on this?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Your right.... Most people don't have a huge want for roosters !!!

It really all depends !! A lot of the time we start them at $10 and if we know the person/kid buying the roo is going to give it a good home (not eat it) sometimes we drop it to $5.

Unless the bird is super show quality with GREAT lines i'd stick to $5-$10. It also depends on how bad you want to get rid of him !!

Just remember there are TONS of free roo's out there so keep it low !! Hope this helped !! Good luck [​IMG]

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I couldn't say it better myself.

4. ChickenPotPie

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Thanks. [​IMG] We'll place him at $10.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hope you sell him.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Let us know how it goes [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I gave mine away.

8. ChickenPotPie

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Quote:lol. I think that's what we'll be doing. I'm preparing birds for the table today and I couldn't get myself to eat this little guy. He's too spunky. Ya gotta admire a banty that chases the standard roos around the coop. [​IMG]

9. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    If I put out a sign in Spanish that says "Pollos, se venden aqui", I have no trouble getting rid of the roos for up to $10 each. They claim they are going to eat them.

10. ChickenPotPie

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] Ahahaha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by