New to Silkies, Color Question (Added Pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Willowbrook, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    I have white Silkie hens and a white Silkie rooster also a Showgirl, white rooster. They are new to me as of this fall.
    One hen decided to lay and sit her eggs and so far four chicks have hatched with what appears to be black bodies with some yellow points of color on the tips of wings, chest and head.
    I do understand that birds can have splits or hidden color genes, but I would like to know what this color would be called?

Thanks in advance.

Willow

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    All of my whites start out sort of yellow. When their feathers grow in, they will be white.

3. Willowbrook

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    Thank you for your response, but I don't know if you noticed that I said mine are all black with yellow on the tips of their wings, head and chest.
    Would this mean they will be black and white? And is that what they would be called or is there another name for that color/pattern?

4. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    like black skin or black fur?

5. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Sorta like this one?

[​IMG]

This one was looking like it was going to be dark blue before it went to live with someone else.

6. Willowbrook

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    No, not black skin, black down or fur as you call it.
    Yes, they look similar to the picture you posted, but have more yellow on the chest and wing tips. I'm not sure if I'm able, but I'll try to get a picture posted.
    Thanks for your reply.

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    A black chick out of white.......... I never thought that whitexwhite could produce black. Maybe someone that knows genetics a little better can help out.

8. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    If the hen was with another rooster he could be the father of the babies. If it was 3 weeks or less since the eggs were laid that she was with a different rooster.

9. Willowbrook

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are two photos of two different chicks.
    The birds have been here for several months so being with another rooster isn't possible.
    As I mentioned in my first posting, the Silkie rooster is white and the Showgirl rooster is also white. Either could be the father, but I didn't get any Showgirl chicks.

Hopefully, when someone sees this they will know what I'm talking about. [​IMG]

10. chicken truck

chicken truck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Columbiana, Alabama
    interesting! Cute chicks though. maybe someone on here will have an answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by