New to Silkies, Color Question (Added Pictures)

Willowbrook

Songster
11 Years
Dec 7, 2008
western PA
I have white Silkie hens and a white Silkie rooster also a Showgirl, white rooster. They are new to me as of this fall.
One hen decided to lay and sit her eggs and so far four chicks have hatched with what appears to be black bodies with some yellow points of color on the tips of wings, chest and head.
I do understand that birds can have splits or hidden color genes, but I would like to know what this color would be called?

Thanks in advance.

Willow

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, but I don't know if you noticed that I said mine are all black with yellow on the tips of their wings, head and chest.
Would this mean they will be black and white? And is that what they would be called or is there another name for that color/pattern?

Sorta like this one?

36357_img_3067.jpg

This one was looking like it was going to be dark blue before it went to live with someone else.

No, not black skin, black down or fur as you call it.
Yes, they look similar to the picture you posted, but have more yellow on the chest and wing tips. I'm not sure if I'm able, but I'll try to get a picture posted.
Thanks for your reply.

If the hen was with another rooster he could be the father of the babies. If it was 3 weeks or less since the eggs were laid that she was with a different rooster.

silkiechick.jpg

silkiechick2.jpg

Here are two photos of two different chicks.
The birds have been here for several months so being with another rooster isn't possible.
As I mentioned in my first posting, the Silkie rooster is white and the Showgirl rooster is also white. Either could be the father, but I didn't get any Showgirl chicks.

Hopefully, when someone sees this they will know what I'm talking about.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom