New to the board

Big_Dave

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Greetings everyone. I've been lurking on the board since March. I was given the link while surfing www.ar15.com. They had a chicken thread that got me interested and pointed in your direction.

I have 4 chickens. I had a problem with one of the straight run chicks becoming a rooster. I called all over PA in an attempt to find someone that would caponize the roo. In the end, I had a friend of a friend offer to perform the surgery in his veterinary clinic on Staten Island, NY. The little bantam survived and is happy to be back with the others. So, if you have a pet rooster and are looking for someone to castrate him, let me know.

Here's my flock from April to now:

100_0214.jpg

100_0238.jpg

100_0242.jpg

100_0245.jpg

welcome-byc.gif
to nyc! What a pretty little flock. Glad you got to keep your little roo, he's a nice looking bird

I'm glad he made it through surgery.

I litterly called 2 dozen vets and chicken farms looking for someone to castrate the rooster. When Dr. Frank said he'd do it, but that the mortality rate was pretty high I jumped on it. The roo is a little bantam, hence the name Tiny. My daughter picked him out of hundreds of chickens. My wife is a vegetarian and really didn't want to put him down.

We live in a residential neighborhood, so the mortality rate for a crowing rooster is 100%.

Dr. Frank did a great job and the roo was home within 48 hrs. His practice is in Staten Island, so if anyone is interested, send me a IM.

I'm very curious about whether the caponizing actually stops the crowing- I've heard conflicting results.

Welcome aboard! We're always happy for new addicts to make us look less nutty. It's a great place to congregate.

Welcome Big_Dave!! I wish I lived closer, I have called every vet in my county and no one performs the surgery. I got 3 chicks and 2 ended up being roosters. They're like pets and getting rid of them isn't an option. I love the crowing, no neighbors close, but am concerned that they will fight and wear the poor hen out.

If you don't mind me asking how much did the surgery cost? I'm calling around to surrounding counties now to see if I can find a vet.

Back
Top Bottom