New to the incubations / set 6/14

jafo

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Hi Peeps ! we're new to the incubation process. Wife Karen's eggcited, we're candeling tomorrow when she gets home from work ! We put them in the bator the 14th. Temps been right on. Been looking at pics for a while, reading posts etc, learning. Have had chickens for several years now, and only chicks hatched at home were done by the "girls". It's a lotta fun to see em set, growl atcha, fluff up etc, then 21 days later go out n see the chick(s) pop their heads out to see who's in the coop ! Read about hatching in cartons / or not, having "breach" problems, of em hatching from the small end if laid down. I think we may go with the "bottomless egg carton" Results tomorrow I hope,,,

Hello again, here it is day 21 and not even a peep. First time so, like I said, we'll be lucky if they or any hatch. Took them out of the turner Friday night, laid them flat on the wire grid in the incubator. When and if they get ready aren't we supposed to hear peeping ? Do the eggs move / roll around if they are close? I can't hear any way, but wife said it's pretty quiet in there. Is day 22 long enough? How long should we wait?

Well we had one hatch out at 10 AM yesterday morning, then when my eggcited wife got home, two more hatched at 8;30 PM, and she said there was another one that had just broke through. She came to bed, and this morning we awoke to 5 very frisky chicks! We set up a large box with papers / food / water and heat lamp, maintaining about 90 degrees. We put their beaks to water, and they are all eating already. I candled the rest of the eggs (7) and 3 were clear, so I removed them, and set the other 4 back in the incubator. Others are quite dark, and will monitor them til Thursday morning. All in all it has been quite an eggsperience! Thanks for all the help / links etc ! Once I get to the point of getting the pics from my iphone I'll try and post them here.

Back
Top Bottom