new to this group /question about using dewormer

chickenchick071

Hatching
Dec 9, 2015
Hi all, I am new here. After googlling so much eyes where fuzzy I decided to join and get some help. Our For Girls Are About 8 Months. Such little loves! About 5 days ago I noticed one of my girls Tweet was breathing louder not labored just louder.Once I noticed her I did the others as well. So I started googling and went out and got vet rx. I have been putting that on all their nostrils and under their wings at bedtime. I also add ACV to their water and garlic and some herbs to their food. I have noticed now that they have some head shaking along with the stuffy breathing. They are eating and drinking great and acting normal besides the louder breathing. No drainage, foul odor or anything like that. I want to rule out gape worms. What would be the best wormer and safest. And how would I go about worming them? I appreciate any help!

You may want to check out their ears and see if they have any parasites that are irritating them. Is it possible to take the most ill one to the vet, and find out what your are dealing with? Wormers won't do any good if that is not their problem. Head shaking makes me think neurological problems. With gapeworm, the chickens will open their beaks often like they are taking big breaths or yawning. They may also cough because the worms are in their throat.

You can take a q-tip and gently swab around the inside of the throat. You may see a bit of red to indicate blood or the tiny worms themselves. That would be a positive ID, although they could have secondary issues as well. That's why I like to suggest a vet if at all possible.

Thanks for your response, the vet that sees them isn't in until Monday. They are coughing a little bit. I am scared to open their mouths and hurt them! What wormer would I use and how would I do it? I have never wormed them and they free range so I'm thinking I should anyways. It's so confusing their symptoms fit worms and respitory (minus swelling or discharge) They still are running around and eating but they do not seem to be getting better. I just noticed some loose like diarrhea in their coop also.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom