New toy!

plreef

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Eastern CT
I'm excited! Tomorrow I'm getting a used incubator. Its a older Hova Bator. I have a small fan that I used to use to keep my reef tank cool. I'll install it inside to circulate the air better. We have 12 "mutt" eggs coming Monday.
This is going to be my first time setting eggs. I been spending to ton of time in this forum reading everybody's threads. I hope were ready! Any advice for the noob?
jumpy.gif

I'm patient, but I'm not sure how patient my kids will be.... We'll make them a calender that they can cross off the days till they hatch.
I also have a turner too. That should make the process a little easier. Don't worry Henrietta I'll have the camera in the ready position! I'll get a new thread started tomorrow.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
I did the calendar thing with my son when we hatched last year. It helped a lot. Kindergarteners have little idea of how long 21 days are. I was not much better. Our temps ran a little high and the first pip happened late on day 19 (or more like early day 20). You will be starting yours almost a year to the day from when we started ours, only last year Feb. vacation was a week later. Ours all hatched when we were home to watch! One of my silkies struggled and I ended up helping him out. There's a great thread on here that you should have ready just in case. The silkie that struggled and hatched in my hand is the father of your future chicks!

I'll add pictures of the potential parents if you like.
(I can't tell you how hard I just tried to persuade my husband to have you add a couple of buutercup pullets to your Ideal order. It didn't work. Any chance you'll be ordering more later on?)

When you get a used incubator, Spray clean it with a water/bleach solution then let the incubator dry it out by turning it on. By doing this there will be no mold or bacteria growing. Allow 48 hours to get a good temp. Add amount of water to the trays after the first 24 hours. After the eggs are in, the temp will rise a little due to the incubation process. Do not lower the setting too much. If the temp spikes one way or another, it may be low on water. Good luck.

Odds are we'll order more later in the season. I'll let you know. And by all means post the pics of the papa and mamas tomorrow so everybody can see them!!

Back
Top Bottom