New turkey gender check!

Pics

Mutchi

Crowing
Apr 5, 2021
hamilton MT
My Coop
My Coop
I have a turkey and I don't know what gender it is. So can you tell me?? it has a thing on the beak nose thing does that mean that its a thing that helps with genders??
20210415_204441.jpg
20210415_204302.jpg

I personally feel like the welfare and happiness of the turkey that is going to be a pet should be more important then whether or not its rude to rehome. An animal is a living creature with needs and feelings, not like a plush toy that isnt alive. It will also most likely be stunted or deformed because it doesn't have a proper diet. Please think of doing the right thing. I know it's hard because baby turkeys are very cute, but sometimes if you really love an animal and there are no other options that take it's happiness into account then it is better in the long run to rehome. It sounds like your mom very irresponsibly took an animal she wasnt prepared to take care of.

Last edited:
I personally feel like the welfare and happiness of the turkey that is going to be a pet should be more important then whether or not its rude to rehome. An animal is a living creature with needs and feelings, not like a plush toy that isnt alive. It will also most likely be stunted or deformed because it doesn't have a proper diet. Please think of doing the right thing. I know it's hard because baby turkeys are very cute, but sometimes if you really love an animal and there are no other options that take it's happiness into account then it is better in the long run to rehome. It sounds like your mom very irresponsibly took an animal she wasnt prepared to take care of.
I completely agree. OP, when are you planning on getting another turkey? You should really re-home it as soon as possible if you can't get it a friend.

I have other poultry but not turkeys I have chickens but when my turkey grows up it will be with a goat and a pot belly pig do you think that's fine?
No, if this is to be a pet, it needs other turkeys for companionship. If it is going to be processed for food then it is a different story.

its not so bad getting imprinted.
it will depend on you.
I have chickens and when danger is around they will make loud noise to get me.
we had to kill a cat that was after our hens.
Turkeys are not chickens. Imprinting can cause dangerous problems later. Turkeys that are imprinted by chickens lose the ability to understand that chickens are not turkeys and usually ends in harm to the chickens. People aggressive turkeys caused by human imprinting can be dangerous to people.

Please try to either re-home this poult, or get more poults. Turkeys are social animals and will stress out a ton if they don't have another of their kind to talk to. You won't be able to leave the house or even the sight of the turkey because it has imprinted on you, and that will cause you MAJOR problems later on. You need to tell your mom that it is SERIOUSLY UNHEALTHY for this poult to be alone. The chicks are not turkeys, and as stated above even if your poult imprints on your chickens there is a high chance that it will harm you, your family, or your chickens. All because it didn't have another turkey to imprint on. Please please please for your poults sake. Tell your mom she should have never accepted a single poult, and that you need to find it a friend right now. Tell her whatever convinces her to get another, and if she won't let you then you need to rehome it as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom