new turkey pair w/ slight blood in poo?

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I do not normally buy started birds but, oh well
tongue.png
, today I seem to have purchased a pair of Ridley strain Bronze turkeys, am guessing they are 3-4 months old.

I did not notice anything wrong with them before buying them (obviously) but I see now that the coupla poos that they left in the crate on the trip home have just a slight amount of bloody tint to them.

Also the white parts of the poos are kind of squiggly and stripy instead of a single homogeneous white cap. (The white squiggliness does not seem to me to be worms, the squiggles all fall right apart when you poke at them).

How would you proceed? Worm them (with what, what dosage?), or put them on medicated feed with a coccidiostat in it, or dose with Sulmet, or what? Something else I should do?

I am sort of kicking myself for not noticing this before but it does seem like it should be manageable and fixable, right? The turkeys are in my horse barn now in quarantine. No other signs of ill health at the moment. (e.t.a. - have now been dusted for any mites/lice, too, tho I did not see any)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions,

Pat

Last edited:
They have cocci.

I would put 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar per gallon of water in their water for the next 2 weeks and they should be good or you can go and buy medicated feeds but ....

Id definitely go with Liquid corid or Sulmet in there drinking water asap for cocci. ,as for using Medicated feed its to late to help them with that. The Medicated feed only helps them build immunity slowly to cocci, but once they have cocci its to late to use the starter feeds and basically will do nothing to help with cocci at this point.

One other thing, never feed medicated feeds and or use coird or sulmet at the same time.

For 3-4 month old turkeys one can feed game bird flight conditioner or none medicated flock raiser both by Purina along with the corid or sulmet treatment

Last edited:
I should probably update -- after the second morning, their poo has really looked quite good and normal, no signs of blood or diarrhea. It may just have been a passing thing due to the stress of being crated up, transported, left overnight, auctioned off, crated up and transported for another hour.

I am continuing the ACV in the water and have them on medicated feed but have not, in the end, used sulmet or anything like that. I will continue to keep a close eye on them, though, esp. in a couple weeks when they are un-quarantined and put into their permanent housing.

Thanks everyone,

Pat

That is my experience with ACV and cocci, one day they have blood in the stool and give them a big dose of ACV in the water and next day no more then continue for a week or two and then you can go with a dose every week in the water or every other week or you can continue it 24/7 but need to cut it back to 1 tablespoon per gallon if you are going to use it all the time, plus it keeps the waterers clean and free of algae.

They more than likely did not have cocci then, as ACV will not rid your birds of Cocci once they have it, you will loose birds if you rely on ACV alone, that is a guarantee or if they get past it will be very unproductive for the rest of there lives....

stick with what works and is proven medically and scientifically, some forms/types of cocci can be very severe if not treated properly once you know a bird or birds have it..

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm

Last edited:
well on the west coast ACV works like a champ. I have never in years of raising birds ever used meds and I have yet to loose one to cocci. I guess I could be the luckiest guy out there and just this year with raising nearly 2,000 birds alone and not one dying of cocci ??? Not likely. I only use ACV and it rids them of it and then they build a natural immunity to it. One does not need to rely on meds to cure stuff. But hey if works for you then so be it, but after treating your birds or any other animal like that they would no longer be considered organic or even naturally raised.

It is proven that ACV works against Cocci.

were are these proven studies showing it works?????? you saying it works doesn't prove jack...

i want to see the documented facts and were?? Your birds probably built immunity by you using medicated feed??

Organically= what do you worm your breeders with??

Last edited:
Quote:
Well yes, but then, where are your proven studies showing it NEVER works?
wink.png

I prefer well designed randomized double-blind experimental trials published in peer-reviewed journals.

Most things in life however have never *been* tested that way, and I'm not going to curl up in a corner and wait til they have been to try them myself
tongue.png

I don't know for sure if this was cocci, I don't know for sure if it wasn't, I don't know for sure whether the ACV made a difference, but the turkeys are healthy-seeming which is what I was *after*, and next time I'm in a similar situation I will try the same thing again and see what happens then. FOr the moment, I am well satisfied with the outcome.

Pat, former research biologist but not one to knock trying something if it is unlikely to be harmful and might help and is not *substituting* for more well-documented measures in an emergency situation

Quote:
Just google it and you will find, it kills the parasite by the acidity in the system. ACV works and most organic farmers use it for one thing or another, there is a lot of info on it on the web one just needs to look and read.

No we don't use medicated feeds here at all, no meds of any kind ever

we worm our breeders with VermX wormer it is organic.

Back
Top Bottom