Raptorchick

Serama-mama
5 Years
May 21, 2018
San Andreas, CA
I'm not a chicken geneticist or breeding for anything in particular, just a curious hobbyist ... I hope I'm posting in the right forum :oops:
I have a few cream legbar eggs due to hatch anyday. I was thinking about the beautiful blue eggs I might get someday, when it struck me; I've hatched a colored egg before. I once had a wyandotte-patterened bantam hen that laid green eggs (she came from a batch of bantam eggs my mother ordered online, not sure on her genetics), and she flew the coop. I found two of her green eggs in the fridge, and I hoped to hatch more green laying hens, but they both hatched into roosters. The father roo was a rhode island red, mother hen that flew off was easter-egger bantam.
If I crossed my green-egg/rhode-island-red rooster (Raptor, my namesake :D) with a blue-laying cream legbar hen, is there a decent chance the resulting hens would lay green eggs?
It sounds like way too much trouble/effort to start mad-scientist experimenting with my chickens lol, this is all just in theory :p
Thanks ahead!

The cream legbar ought to be pure for blue eggs, so although the Cockerel may or may not have the blue gene, the offspring all should, from the mother. The pigment layers associated with brown and green eggs are somewhat more difficult to track, however at least some ought to have passed from the father, so you should get some shade of green, yes.

Something to note is that if your Cockerel is not barred, these chicks will be black sex-links. The Cockerels will get the barring gene from mum, and will hatch with a white dot on their heads, while the pullets will be non-barred.

Back
Top Bottom