Newbie chick question

Tdubg22

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Tried searching around, couldn't find an answer. I live in Michigan and it is still very cold. My question is what do the temps need to be outside to brood chicks outside with a headlamp after they hatch? I don't want to brood them inside like I did my chickens. I think maybe it's too cold and I should hold off buying eggs. Will brood them in the garage and under a heat lamp, but don't want them to die from the cold. Just wondering if I should wait a few weeks before ordering. Thanks.

Tried searching around, couldn't find an answer. I live in Michigan and it is still very cold. My question is what do the temps need to be outside to brood chicks outside with a headlamp after they hatch? I don't want to brood them inside like I did my chickens. I think maybe it's too cold and I should hold off buying eggs. Will brood them in the garage and under a heat lamp, but don't want them to die from the cold. Just wondering if I should wait a few weeks before ordering. Thanks.
It's fine if you can make it work as along as you keep the space inside the brooder heated to the appropriate temp for whatever age the chicks are. It becomes hard to do this in very cold weather because the chicks need a vent to allow fresh unheated air to add oxygen to the brooder. In the garage you'll probably be best off.

ok, I need to tag onto this string and ask: my chicks are 3 weeks old now, fully feathered and ready to go outside, I think. Overnight here it's in 30s and 40s. I have pens ready for them and will make sure I have a heat lamp and will cover to prevent drafts. Will they be OK? Or do I need to wait? Right now in the brooder they are at 80F.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom