Newbie from San Jose

gypsypitcrew

Hatching
6 Years
May 29, 2013
After hearing chickens from my neighbor's yard, I'm considering doing the same. It's been a very long time since I've raised chickens, but, hey, nothing beats fresh eggs!

I would appreciate any advice regarding dogs and chickens. We have 2 rambunctious AmStaff puppies (18 & 8 months) and a 4600 sq. ft. backyard.

I really like the portable coops and would love to hear about your experiences!

Greetings from Kansas, gypsypitcrew, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! Lots of threads devoted to dogs and chickens on BYC...type those two words into the BYC search bar - you'll have plenty of research. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Modesto! My advice on dogs & chickens is to never ever ever leave them alone unattended, or better yet keep them separate. I learned the hard way with my last flock.

welcome-byc.gif
rambunctious and puppies are two words that strike fear in a chickener's heart.
ep.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
You are really going to have your work cut out for you. On the other hand maybe your dogs would love to go after fox, raccoons, coyotes etc.

So far, the puppies seem mostly fascinated with chasing the squirrels that run across the top of our fence:
wee.gif

I'll probably never be able to trust them around chickens completely. I guess I'm just worried about the stress the dogs may cause, simply by being so intently focused on the hens. Do you know if there are types of chicken wire that are designed specifically to keep dogs out?

Some breads of dogs are bread to hunt birds and will try to get yours. So good luck. My 150 lb St Bernard loves our chickens and is very protective of them. They are his babies.

I am in Almaden Valley and have 6 hens. We just started this chicken adventure in February of this year. Going great so far. Even the beagle gets along safely with the girls. Feel free to message me if you need more info. So far the only places I've found organic chicken feed locally are Sam's feed in SJ and City Farmz in Campbell.

Back
Top Bottom