newbie question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by critterrun, Nov 15, 2011.

1. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    do you have to put all the eggs in at the same time?

Is 1 week apart to much

I have read of people putting them in at differnt times

thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Staggered hatches can be complicated when it comes time to stop turning and lock down. It would be best to set them all at the same time.

3. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Keep your first hatch as simple as possible, and later, when you have more experience you can try to figure out the staggered hatch.

4. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it also depends on what type of incubator you have. If you have a foam incubator it is easier to do them all at one time. That way you are not opening the incubator so much. But if you have a large incubator that has shelves on it. I think it is easier to do the once a week hatch.. Just my opinion though.. Best of luck to you!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have done it in my styrofoam but do not recommend it unless you have a second styrofoam to use to hatch in. I have a cabinet and stryofoam incubators. I set new egg in the incubator weekly and hatch in the styrofoam incubators.

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I simply move my eggs to a homemade hatcher. No turners to injure the hatching chicks--that and humidity raising are the differences with staggering hatches, to my knowledge.

7. egg-cellent

I have a cabinet incubator and I run it dry except when I lower chicks to the hatching tray, then I run it with water setting the humidity at 75%... Our house humidity is at 50% all the time. So it runs the best when I run the incubator this way. I lower eggs, add water for the hatch, also adding new eggs to the top row. The following week, I lower the eggs on each shelf, again the ones on the bottom shelf go to the hatching tray and I add water. It works well. We have had the best hatch rates this way.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. egg-cellent

Wow! You have alot of equipment! I would love to have that many incubators. I have one cabinet and one styrofoam incubator. I love your brooder too! NICE! If you ever decide to part with it, I would gladly take it off your hands.. [​IMG]

10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by