newbie's 20 chickens killed by neighbors dog/moving new replacements/appreciate tips

So far, the neighbor's are ignoring my offer to settle out of court for $750 [considering my investment which I don't have all receipts for and slight damage to my coop, as well as $450 for replacement chickens of approximate age and breeds] all in all a conservative estimate.
Meanwhile the police mailed me a 'report' of the incident and valued my prime layers as the price of meat chickens [$10 ea].
Now, it seems that I could take it to small claims court and plead my case, but with minimal paper evidence. Cost is minimal and looser pays court costs.
The other two victims don't want to go to court, but will supply photos of their damage.

Any suggestions guys and gals??

@jeabjeab Sorry to hear things are not going very smoothly for you. If they are not willing to work with you, small claims court is your only option a side from you hiring a private attorney, which isn't very cheap with no guarantees.

Current estimates of your replacement costs for your Poultry and estimates from a carpenter or two, for the repairs of your coop and other property damaged is what the Court will use as creditable evidence.

The police report proves the property was damaged and the loss of your poultry, Correct? Last time I checked, the police are not poultry experts on the price of your loss for each chicken. So I wouldn't worry about that part. The more paperwork you have proving your case, the better off you are.

The other two victims would have no choice if they were to be subpoenaed to appear and that would help greatly in your favor.

Are you familiar with Small Claims Court and how it works?

thanks for your input............
Unfortunately I don't have much of a paper trail re: $ spent on feed for 6 months as I just bought it on sale [Walmart's cheap junk] and not expecting the slaughter, I am a sloppy record keeper.
Can I claim possible projected return on my investment [ organic free range eggs @ $5/dozen for a year+??
labor was done by me and the only materials were another layer of welded steel hardware cloth @ $150.
and emotion stress and trauma to us [the owners]??
Thanks in advance,
Jack

A paper trail is your best offense going into Small Claims Court, no such thing as having to much paperwork to prove your case. To little paperwork is going to make it harder for a Judicial Referee to judge in your favor 100% of your loss unless you can prove it, even though you are the victim.

The other party will get a chance to review the paperwork you submit and have a chance to argue it, for what little good that will do for them being responsible for the damages anyway.

If you can prove on paper from a creditable source from someone who raises and sells eggs, sure you can enter that into the estimated loss as well, plus all the feed.

As for your Labor, that is why you need estimates on paper from one or two other contractors to recoup your time loss there.

The Small Claims paperwork is generally written simplistically for the average person to understand with step by step instructions and will outline what you can and can not do. It all boils down to the creditable proof on paper you have for the Court to prove your loss so they can judge in your favor.

With out seeing the Small Claims Paperwork, I am not sure if you can or not claim the emotional stress and trauma to you? Sorry.

I wish you the best of luck and hope the negligent party has to pay dearly for your loss. Please keep us posted, everyone likes a happy ending. :)

Back
Top Bottom