Newborn chick has a bum hole full of fly eggs: help desperately needed

LilyRascal

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 31, 2013
I've removed as many as I could manually and gave it a luke warm bath to remove eggs on feathers, chick was abandoned by it's mother. What else can I do?

Clean and use some peroxide
Welcome and enjoy!
Steve.
frow.gif
Yeah, that's probably what I would do.

Dip a cotton swab in some hydrogen peroxide and VERY GENTLY clean around her vent the best you can. Do it again every other day, if you can. :)

Good luck!

I've removed as many as I could manually and gave it a luke warm bath to remove eggs on feathers, chick was abandoned by it's mother. What else can I do?
Are you referring to maggots? Remove them all they will eat live flesh. How severe is wound,when you say bum are you referring to vent or umbilical area? Clean and clean again to remove eggs/maggots,diluted peroxide or epsom salt soak. After you are sure maggots/eggs are gone,apply an antibiotic ointment to wound(nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chickens). Keep her warm and in a brooder,give her a child proof stuffed animal to snuggle up to,make sure she eats/drinks. You can add warm water to her feed so it resembles oatmeal,easier for frail/young chicks to eat.

Back
Top Bottom