Newborn duckling quandry

Doctor Pammie

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Piedmont area of Virginia
Our Muscovy hen has had a bizarre hatch. First duckling born last Sunday, then one two days later, then two more ducklings two days later. Yesterday a fifth had pipped (in the right place) but mama was definitely done with her nest and ready to be teaching her newborns the ropes. Wanting to give #5 a chance, we brought it to the incubator. After it making little progress but still pecking furiously we gently helped it by picking a few pieces of shell away with tweezers and leaving the membrane intact. After it broke through the membrane but was still struggling a few hours later, we removed a few more pieces of shell (no membrane). It then successfully completed the hatch on its own, pushing itself through the rest of the membrane and out of the shell, and it seems perfectly healthy, including the whole yolk sac absorbed. It is chirping and shivering and biting at the washcloth in the incubator--very active. Should we be concerned about shivering? I figured maybe that was part of the drying off process. Incubator Temp 99, humidity 80%. My main question is: if it lives (and it does seem healthy), now what should we do with it? Its oldest sibling has a full week's development on it. Mama and her 4 babies were moved to have access to a protected outdoor area today. I live in Virginia and right now our daytime highs are near 90 and our nighttime lows can be as low as mid 60's. We are so thrilled that it has made it this far and want to handle the next steps appropriately if it continues to thrive in the incubator until tomorrow morning. (Already 5:30PM so obviously it stays inside for now.) Thank you in advance for any help!

You may try put it back with it mum. If she takes it back you are in luck. If not try it again in a week. Muscovy are good mothers and mine will also look after a few of different ages and different hatches. The young will get along as a rule with a large range in there ages. As far as the shivering it may also from stress plus it may also miss mum. Birds do talk to there young in the egg.

Thank you. I do intend to put it back, I'm just not sure when to do so. We have a flock of 50+ chickens and Muscovies that are all getting along very well, so we feel pretty happy about that. It is amazing how the mamas talk to the unborn eggs. I came in the other morning and told my husband the eggs were ready to hatch. When he asked me how I knew, I said it was because the Momma was singing to the eggs!

I have found that a temp of 99 to be too high for my newly hatched ducklings, so I start at 95 then lower it if they feel too warm. Humidity at 80% is also higher than I like, so I set mine at 60-65%.

-Kathy

Thank you. After I posted I saw the 95% and we realized the humidity was too high because #5 wasn't drying. Now we have it at 40%. Anyone have a suggestion about when to try to put her back with her "family"? She's been hatched 3 hours and is doing great!

Thank you. After I posted I saw the 95% and we realized the humidity was too high because #5 wasn't drying. Now we have it at 40%. Anyone have a suggestion about when to try to put her back with her "family"? She's been hatched 3 hours and is doing great!
How much older are the others?

-Kathy

The hatch was staggered. The oldest is one week old today. Then there are two that are five days old and two that are three days old. Weird, right? Now that she's almost completely dry and starting to try to walk around, she actually looks bigger than the 3 day old ducklings. Tomorrow and the day after are supposed to be cooler and rainy. She would be going into a dog crate nest with lots of dry bedding that is inside a metal cage partially covered with a tarp. High of 82, low of 65.

UPDATE: The duckling hatched in the incubator did very well overnight. This morning she was very, very active and chirping loudly. We decided to try putting her in with her siblings and mother, despite pretty crappy weather conditions. My husband rigged up a heat lamp for their area. The baby was accepted with no problems and seems to have readjusted well. We are thankful that she was healthy and strong enough to be back with her family as soon as possible.

UPDATE: The duckling hatched in the incubator did very well overnight. This morning she was very, very active and chirping loudly. We decided to try putting her in with her siblings and mother, despite pretty crappy weather conditions. My husband rigged up a heat lamp for their area. The baby was accepted with no problems and seems to have readjusted well. We are thankful that she was healthy and strong enough to be back with her family as soon as possible.
Thanks for the update!

-Kathy

I really appreciate all the advice I get from this board. It makes me sad when someone poses a question and you never know how things turned out.
wee.gif
Just ecstatic that at least this time we made the right choices and managed to save a bird that most certainly would have died in the shell if we hadn't. And thrilled that she's back outside living like a normal duckling with the assist of the heat lamp. Whew! Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom