Newly Hatched Chick Help!

Taylor97

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Texas
I woke up about 45 minutes ago to the sound of cheaping. The only surviving egg from my small clutch and first incubating attempt had hatched but the chick had fallen in a crevice and was turned on its back. I very gently moved it to a safe area with a cloth and noticed that it was bleeding from the bottom. That concerns me. Is it a normal part of the hatching process? The chick has been dozing and wobbling around every so often and appears more or less healthy but cheaps very loudly almost nonstop when awake. Is any of this abnormal? Is it internally injured? I'm pretty tired so please forgive any typos X) Thank you so much!

I'd like to add that it keeps clumsily rolling onto its back. Could this be caused by some defect or is it normal behavior while its learning to use its legs?

welcome-byc.gif

Is it bleeding from it's navel (belly)? That means the "umbilical cord" detached or the chick broke it off before the navel had a chance to seal properly. If it stopped bleeding leave it and place the chick on some clean paper towels and keep an eye on it. If it is bleeding still dab a little corn flour starch on the area, but try not to touch it with your hands.

The chick stumbling around and falling around is normal. They are clumsy just after hatch while they are learning to use their legs
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Is it bleeding from it's navel (belly)? That means the "umbilical cord" detached or the chick broke it off before the navel had a chance to seal properly. If it stopped bleeding leave it and place the chick on some clean paper towels and keep an eye on it. If it is bleeding still dab a little corn flour starch on the area, but try not to touch it with your hands.

The chick stumbling around and falling around is normal. They are clumsy just after hatch while they are learning to use their legs
smile.png

X2

Put a soft towel or something in the hatcher if you haven't already to give it a bit more stability. It also helps to cover them with a light fabric if it's a single chick. It makes them feel more cozy and snuggled in and not so alone. Hope that helps!

Thank you! I had set it on a cloth when I first found it and the bleeding stopped soon after. It seems to be healthy. I appreciate the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom