Newly hatched chick wont uncurl toes

Ugh!...DarkSider, wish u were here! Never knew holding a baby chicken down, to put shoes on it, could be so difficult. (Or maybe im just being a wimp about it?) It starts squirming and chirping, and i dont want to hurt it. Do u have any tips, pointers, or any cautionary notes that may help me put its magic shoes on?

Hold it in your hand with its back against your palm and wrap all your fingers around/under it aside from your thumb and pointer. Extend one leg and then gently hold it extended at the hock joint - just a very slight pressure to keep the chick from drawing it back towards itself. Don't pull the leg, just gently hold it extended. Then with the other hand apply the shoe.

It's definitely easier when there's two people, lol. The trick is getting the shoe applied with just one hand - it can be tricky!

My newly hatched chick decided to lend itself for demonstration:

tn4vUq7H3DV8IaO04jbsCeFAwVzNqV5bg0AWaaiBDbO1hiS72vws4b9K8Mt8MndZAAp2kwbq16sr1NiZjUMPpSIIxa2UqnwwJqkJUGBqoXe3o4G3RzCuaGEes4ADOnQVb6LpR5_R6Rh-aeZ6jPX6I9TFMe0Lujet2Ckmr7IxpzR0Ae9kPK8TbFWncvW3ZVR2XiGsgI8RjwOoYgQ93OcjcxXsezQ4npTY8ZEIrSRj6J_Vsx48weHaVvpIvIdfOU0XYliCMTc5QXr_kayX3UmcGeECQBk3ZHECl_RiHiOPc8GX6QWq_kcUB7YqQqb5GqA7qQQlNTOi8JvgQLGqzhUGWf1k5xQxeH9B2jNsCR6ru8vDSO2e5_ILoJ1fBdh5h9RXHVUFSD_hIe4P_uU3zFAsxIZ9fKRtYTNsv5C5YS9a9aYMr0oapEyYGm2LLI_lR11oXkxexylzNzBQuUG_Aboqh9Kx_dMmIQ5om3S2bcD7I_WrERH2d497atcVqLCKJ8dHHa16ApvOp1updPh1Bv5LtgbPQkPaPlrxfpXO8soWzLBvjexVCUV-XdMxWE55jvZTogZozbmokIF15sr5O_1Y80MiHFQvpZAUwwXqFdwOISAZc4QeZUq-Eoy1=w1196-h662-no

Yes, it is taking a nap, lol.

Last edited:
Awesome explanation and photo! U're the best! Going to give it another try. Will let u know how it turns out. Thanks again for ur time and wisdom!

IMG_2702.JPG
Hi, Pyxis. Well, last night, it took 2 people to get the shoes on, and they dont look as professionally cobbled as do urs, but finally, we got the magic shoes on. Minion slippers! This morning, having gained some confidence and seeing that one foot had wiggled partly out, i refit a new pair on him. I cant imagine he'll ever walk normally while the shoes r still on, so how do i decide when to remove them? I realize that without seeing him urself, the answer is "it depends", but am i supposed to wait until he is totally flat footed, and is there a maximum time limit, bc the bones will eventually set at some point?

(This little guy's head is as big, if not slightly bigger than his body!)

I had a chick with toes like that, I put duct tape shoes on his feet. Now he's 1 year old, lives in my rooster flock, and has perfectly straight toes! Good luck with your chick!

You can check the feet in a day or two.

They do correct very quickly.

I like painter's tape when making shoes, since I find them easier to unstick from the toes when pulling off, and I think they give more traction as the poor chick tries to hop about.

Do make sure the chick can get to food and water, as well as not drown.

View attachment 1093942 Hi, Pyxis. Well, last night, it took 2 people to get the shoes on, and they dont look as professionally cobbled as do urs, but finally, we got the magic shoes on. Minion slippers! This morning, having gained some confidence and seeing that one foot had wiggled partly out, i refit a new pair on him. I cant imagine he'll ever walk normally while the shoes r still on, so how do i decide when to remove them? I realize that without seeing him urself, the answer is "it depends", but am i supposed to wait until he is totally flat footed, and is there a maximum time limit, bc the bones will eventually set at some point?

(This little guy's head is as big, if not slightly bigger than his body!)

What Alaskan said :) It usually only takes a day or two. Glad you guys got the shoes on!

Back
Top Bottom