Newly hatched duckling very lethargic and dried up yolk sack not falling off.

Charlotte.p13

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2018
Hi! So I’m still fairly new to hatching ducks (or anything) but the first few I have hatched I’ve never had a problem with, with this lot of ducks I hatched out 4 ducklings 3 of which were born pretty close together and then my little fella hatched out a day later. All three ducklings are great! They are eating and drinking and running around, but my little dude hatched out 8 hours ago and the yolk sac (which was absorbed just stuck still) has dried up but is still very much stuck on, and he is still verrry lethargic and is sleeping a lot. He seemed to realllly struggle to hatch out and even has some marks on the top of his beak, I’m just not sure what to do or if there is anything I can do.. he’s under a heat lamp (after he fluffed up in the incubator) and is on his own. Any advice or help appreciated!! Thankyou ☺️

Hi! So I’m still fairly new to hatching ducks (or anything) but the first few I have hatched I’ve never had a problem with, with this lot of ducks I hatched out 4 ducklings 3 of which were born pretty close together and then my little fella hatched out a day later. All three ducklings are great! They are eating and drinking and running around, but my little dude hatched out 8 hours ago and the yolk sac (which was absorbed just stuck still) has dried up but is still very much stuck on, and he is still verrry lethargic and is sleeping a lot. He seemed to realllly struggle to hatch out and even has some marks on the top of his beak, I’m just not sure what to do or if there is anything I can do.. he’s under a heat lamp (after he fluffed up in the incubator) and is on his own. Any advice or help appreciated!! Thankyou ☺️
Welcome to BYC! Can you post some pictures of the duckling? If he's not walking I suggest that you put him back in the incubator because he could get too cold or too hot in the brooder if he can't walk.

Hi everyone, I’m in Australia time sorry, I have some sad news.. I was checking on him all night and within an hour he had passed but this photo is of his yolk sac not long after he hatched. I made sure to keep him warm and comfortable but it wasn’t enough. He took nearly 72 hours from first pip to hatch and o had to help move some of the egg as he gave up pushing, from then he’s breathing wasn’t right and he couldn’t ever lift his head or anything. His little legs could push him around a bit though so I was hopeful.

Attachments

• F5A6FE2B-DB1C-478F-B1F1-CDFE14660588.jpeg
    F5A6FE2B-DB1C-478F-B1F1-CDFE14660588.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 12
Very sorry for your loss. :hugs I suspect he might have had a yolk sac infection.
Yes I think you may be right, I know you can’t save them all but man it sucks when it happens :( do you know what I could have done better to prevent this in the future?

Yes I think you may be right, I know you can’t save them all but man it sucks when it happens :( do you know what I could have done better to prevent this in the future?
When I have one like that I cut off the shell debris and dribble some betadine or chlorhexidine on the umbilicus. Sometimes I'll give them a drop Baytril (antibiotic) orally.

Back
Top Bottom