news paper theft

Maybe they will get rid of the machines. I get the free local paper everytime I go to the library,and get old papers from my elderly neighbor.Old news is still news.I quit paying for the paper when it went up another quarter.

Quote:
Stealing is Stealing. No matter how you try to twist it. I agree with you totally. Some people
smack.gif

Thieves are thieves and it doesn't matter what it is/value of what was stolen. Say what you want to but I truly believe these extreme couponing shows and/or classes are part of the problem. I live near a Large military base that has a free base paper with inserts/coupons. The General of the post had to publish on the front page an article stating that anyone found taking more than one copy of the paper would lose all post privileges. A class had started on how to save money with coupons and right after that every paper on post would vanish. My husband couldn't even find a paper for us for over a month. That paper is how most information from post is disseminated to families about what is going on around the post. Now we often find that the inserts have been removed and the paper left. I do use coupons when I shop, however, I only use coupons for things that I would be buying anyway and definitely am not extreme about it. I think the best I have ever done is saving $21 for a month worth of groceries. The newspaper thefts that are happening are awful and I fully believe a new system should be put into place. I also believe that the thieves should be prosecuted to include a booking photo on the front page of the paper stating that they were arrested for stealing said paper.
smile.png

The newspaper industry is in a state of flux and has been for a long time now which is why I no longer work for one when they "outsourced" my entire department fifteen years ago. ALL communication media is in a state of flux whether it's print or digital and regardless of form theft has been and continues to be an ongoing problem whether people are stealing newspapers, movies, or music.

A certain amount of theft can be tolerated because the cost of eliminating it is more than it is worth. But when it goes past a certain line it really begins to hurt a business so it has to be stopped or the business go under.

People stealing out of newspaper machines is nothing new. It was a major concern when I was still in the business. People stealing all of the papers out of the box or stealing the paper box itself. It's simply theft and needs to be prosecuted.

Advertising does pay for the newspaper in large part. Just the paper. Not the necessary services that bring it to you. If you're not picking it up from the press building where it was printed then someone had to load that paper up and deliver it either directly to your home, a newspaper box, or a newsstand and that someone has to buy those papers first before they can bring them to you. When you put your money in the machine or you pay your subscription bill you are paying the person who makes the delivery. The newspaper company may handle the money, but they are doing it for the people who haul the newspapers and if those papers get stolen it's the folks who do that hauling that lose out. NOT the newspaper. Hauling papers pays poorly and it's a job that one has to be done seven days a week every week the year around and at very early hours of the day (if it's a morning paper) in order for you to get it when you want it.

It may be that one day the news printed on paper will go away in favor of an entirely digital media. Certainly enough newspapers have disappeared already. But that won't really change anything. Thieves will still find a way to steal from you. Wait... they already have, haven't they?

Quote:
Several years ago , someone was stealing the daily newspaper from our driveway. I got up very early one morning and substituted an older paper filled with dog poop for that days paper.
hide.gif
The thefts stopped.
lol.png

Quote:
Several years ago , someone was stealing the daily newspaper from our driveway. I got up very early one morning and substituted an older paper filled with dog poop for that days paper.
hide.gif
The thefts stopped.
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

lau.gif

lau.gif

Quote:
hide.gif
The thefts stopped.
lol.png

Great way to stop the theft!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom