Niacin deficiency or injury - 6 month old duck

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
Yesterday noticedcl one of my four tenants of the same age, a 6 month old female buff orpington, had a considerable limp.
This is very new.
none of the other 3 ducks of her group l, or other 5 ducks we have, have shown this symptom.
Here is a video of her limping:

And here are pictures of her feet
20230614_100854.jpg
20230614_100859.jpg
20230614_100846.jpg

Under the immediate assumption that it is a niacin deficiency, i have that begun 1 ml oral (via a oral syringe down the throat) of the Vita Jec B (TSC didn't have the Durvet)
20230614_111242.jpg

I have also confined her on the outside post of the chicken coop alone to limit her walking.
She also has a kid pool to swim in as I'm hoping she spends most of her time in there.

Just looking for further advice for care.
And would it definitely be a niacin deficiency or could it be an injury/slipped tendon etc?
Should i begin giving all other ducks a daily 1 ml of the vitamin B or will continue nutrional yeast on top of their protein be enough? I also put rooster booster in their water a few times a week but that isn't muck on niacin.
They all also get peas at night.
Just wondering since one duck has it could the others be close to showing signs or is it common for one duck in particular to have a deficiency?
Thanks as always for any help and information

When one comes down with a niacin deficiency it doesn't always mean the rest will and since you are giving NY on their feed and none of the other are showing symptoms I'd just keep with what you are doing. Are you using 1 Tab per each cup of feed?

Did you look at the bottom of her foot for bumble? check her leg for any excess heat swelling or redness. Sometimes getting in and out of a pool can cause a sprain. But doing what your doing as far as keeping her from running around so much trying to keep up is a good idea you might want to put one of her sisters in with her for company. Water therapy is also good just make sure she can get in an out safely.

When one comes down with a niacin deficiency it doesn't always mean the rest will and since you are giving NY on their feed and none of the other are showing symptoms I'd just keep with what you are doing. Are you using 1 Tab per each cup of feed?

Did you look at the bottom of her foot for bumble? check her leg for any excess heat swelling or redness. Sometimes getting in and out of a pool can cause a sprain. But doing what your doing as far as keeping her from running around so much trying to keep up is a good idea you might want to put one of her sisters in with her for company. Water therapy is also good just make sure she can get in an out safely.
Have checked her feet and legs and could not find any bumble or anything wrong/ warm with the legs so that's why I'm thinking niacin. I had read a slipped tendon can be similar but have no idea about that.
I sprinkle me than a Tablesppon per cup on top of their food every night. Since a lot of it sifts down while they eat i put extra on.
For company, the other 3 meltdown when they're broken up by pairs. It's basically either all of them together or one on its own. I can put all 4 on the coop with the pool they have to do that sometimes anyways.
she can get in and out of the pool but i will give her a few little steps to make it much easier.

Checking for a slipped tendon you'll need to run your finger down the back of her leg and compare it with the one that isn't injured. You should be able to feel the tendon slipped out if it isn't swollen. Usually with slipped tendons there is swelling behind the knee.

Checking for a slipped tendon you'll need to run your finger down the back of her leg and compare it with the one that isn't injured. You should be able to feel the tendon slipped out if it isn't swollen. Usually with slipped tendons there is swelling behind the knee.
Gotcha. Will check again but don't think there is any swelling which is why im thinking niacin

I think you are right or a slight sprain. Either way the niacin will help
There. Had been some definite improvement since the beginning of the 1ml of Vita Jec once daily
she is still limping and sitting more than the others but has been getting better. She is still very active and wants to be with the other ducks
Since she's already over 6 months, is it normal for a longer period of time before she's much better as opposed to ducklings/ younger ducks?

Back
Top Bottom