Niacin deficiency or injury - 6 month old duck

Launchpad

Please can you add an update on your duck? I have a 2+ year old duck who developed what I beleive is acute severe niacine deficiency about 5 days after I opened a new sack of purina. Two others started to limp but have responded to durvet and are now back to normal. But my pekin drake is still not walking even though he has had durvet 1ml orally twice a day for two weeks.

I am curious, how long it was before your girl got back to normal

best wishes

Launchpad

Please can you add an update on your duck? I have a 2+ year old duck who developed what I beleive is acute severe niacine deficiency about 5 days after I opened a new sack of purina. Two others started to limp but have responded to durvet and are now back to normal. But my pekin drake is still not walking even though he has had durvet 1ml orally twice a day for two weeks.

I am curious, how long it was before your girl got back to normal

best wishes
I saw improvement fairly quickly, a few days and marked improvement. That was with the 1 ml of vitamin B Vita Jec daily along with limiting her (with the other ducks she hangs out with) to a smaller yard to shop she doesn't run around a lot. And two pools to spend time in and get water exercise.
She is still limping slightly but has been grtting better and can keep up with the other ducks much better
This is my first experience with (likely) niacin deficiency so i can't be of further help other than my experience.

My thought would be, since the other two ducks responded quickly but one has not and is been a good amount of time, is if possible take that Pekin to a vet for a checkup to confirm its a niacin deficiency and not something else?

Back
Top Bottom